PDA

View Full Version : Just order deluxe 427 pallet kit

Naumoff
January 12th, 2005, 02:02 PM
I just ordered my 427 deluxe pallet kit and can't beleive I'm not nervous. Guess I've been waiting to long for this day. It will be April before I can pick up my Cobra in Carlisle. And I'll have to wait till Sunday when they pack up. Gives me plenty of time to get my garage ready!!Can you see me smiling:D
Tony

dmiller
January 12th, 2005, 02:19 PM
happy for you, and i'm sure that you will enjoy it as much as all of us enjoy our Uniques.

this forum has a lot of knowledge (myself excluded) and the members are only too happy to help.

doug

GeorgiaSnake
January 12th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Way to go Tony - take your time - ask questions - enjoy the build.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

pgermond
January 12th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I was wondering why the sun was shining so brightly from the east today ;)

Congratulations, and as Randy said - "take your time - ask questions -enjoy the build".... it's a blast!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
January 12th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Tony came over the week between Christmas and New Years to look at my car. Since it was dark and about 20 degrees, we didn't take a drive, I did start it, and he got to witness my engine overheat for the first time, due to a stuck thermostat.

It was a good thing, because it gave me the added motivation to add the SPAL puller as added protection after replacing the stat. He actually stuck around for another hour or so and helped me trouble-shoot afterwards........hell of a nice guy!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

ralphscott
January 12th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Congratulations Tony. I can still remember the day I ordered my deluxe pallet. You are beginning a life changing and affirming experience. This is the place to be when you do the build. Lots of pictures and even more advice, helpful advice at that. Take pictures and keep your build notes use ziplock bags with index cards so you can sort it out as you disassemble and later reassemble. Once you do it you will want to do another. (somehow that did not come out as I intended.):D

Ralph

Aggressor
January 12th, 2005, 06:25 PM
You've made the first step to becoming the Prince Frederick local celebrity. I hope you like attention.
I may cross paths with you at Carlisle.
Good call on your Unique purchase. - Geary

KrAzEcJ
January 12th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Welcome to the Unique family Tony.

Unique 4279459

brfutbrian
January 12th, 2005, 07:28 PM
enjoy

Naumoff
January 12th, 2005, 07:31 PM
thanks guys, I'll keep you'll posted on the build.

bomelia
January 13th, 2005, 08:43 PM
So happy for you, butt...I am green with envy!

Mike

Mike Geddes
January 14th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Tony.
Congratulations on getting your kit.
You will NOT be sorry with the decision you have made.
There's a lot of Technical Talent on this forum.
Put in the questions as you build....you will not be disappointed
with the response's and advice.
I wish this forum had been around when I built my 427 in 1991.
( Opp's...I couldn't even say 'computer' then.)
Mike

Mike Geddes

K.Wilson
January 14th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Tony,
I have Cobra envy too! Even though I have one it sure would be fun to get to build another.
You are starting on a very rewarding advenure.
Best of luck, Keith

bittentoo
January 15th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Soooo what color will it be;););)

Naumoff
January 16th, 2005, 03:08 AM
It is going to be black. Just like CSX3025.

Naumoff
January 16th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Can you tell I've been looking at Cobras way to much. I still Have a framed picture from High school in my garage.

Naumoff
January 16th, 2005, 03:31 AM
While I'm up so early this Sunday morning(of course thinking about my Cobra) I tell you some more about what going to be on my car. I put a deposit thursday on a 427 s/o and toploader trans from SA. Bill and staff are very nice poeple. I'm in the process of ordering a set of Trigo wheels. I see the problem with tire selection already. In 15 inch there seems to be two DOT approved. Any resorces on tire will definitly be appreciated. I will tell you that I love the look of the original Cobra and that is what I am going for. So I will sacrafice performance for that. Lets face it the Cobra is totally awesome even in 1966 tire technology.I,m ordering the 3.31:1 posi rear, soft top, heater(My Honey has cold feet)

clayfoushee
January 16th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Tony,

Good choices including color. If I ever repaint, it will also be solid black.

Regarding tires, you're right that there are only a few choices in 15's, and none of them are performance-oriented tires. However, if you search CC for threads started by "tireguy" and our man Brent "BB427" over there, you will see there is hope on the horizon. Tireguy is a manufacturer who is in the process of creating a proper 15" tire for Cobras. With any luck, it will be available by early summer.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Naumoff
January 16th, 2005, 08:45 AM
That sounds great Clay. I have been following the thread and I hope tireguy can work out the bug in the compounds. What tires do you recommend if the timing doesn't work out for me?

clayfoushee
January 16th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Most everyone runs BFG TA or comparable Dunlop, and I believe Yokohama now has a tire in the right sizes 245/60 front and 275 or 285/60 rear. Those are about the only ones who make a 15 wide enough for the rear. They're all T-rated or lower.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

GeorgiaSnake
January 17th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Clay is the "T" rating for "turds"? BFG is making some new high performance tires in various sizes (15" - 20") - I saw then on HP TV.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

nolastyankee
January 17th, 2005, 06:24 AM
BFG has some 'Drag Radial T/A' tires that are in the correct sizes for our cars, but they are not recommended for sustained road use...Or at least that is what the information on them says. I am looking at Goodyear Eagle GA's as they come in the sizes that I need for our FIA. They are white letter on one side and T rated just like everything else. Anyone have experience with these on a Cobra? I have these on my '66 Mustang and they are fine...Not wonderful, but fine.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

clayfoushee
January 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Yes, T is for Turd in this case. The only available "period correct" tires now are bricks except for the drag slicks, which most wouldn't want to use on the street.

Hopefully, "Tireguy" will come through thanks to Brent's encouragement.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Naumoff
January 17th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I got some prices on some Goodyear Eagle GT II 295 50 15 $140.00 and the 235 60 15 $115.00 a piece. Are these prices fair? I forgot to ask if it included mounting and balancing.

clayfoushee
January 18th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Tony, why don't you wait to see if the new tires will be available. You can alway pick up your roller with junk POS tires on it.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

nolastyankee
January 18th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Tony,
Might be a good idea to wait to see if Tireguy comes through by the time you need rolling stock. If you decide to go with the Eagle GT II's you might want to check Tire Rack. They list prices for the tires you quoted at $70-$75 each. This obviously does not include mounting, balancing, and valve stems. I plan to go this route so that I can have the tires mounted and balanced on a Hunter machine. (Search on this site for previous discussion of the Hunter balancing process) Since Tireguy is not making FIA treads yet, I only have to choose between the Yokohama Avid, Goodyear Eagle GT II, Dunlop Qualifier GT, and BFG Radial T/A.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

weaver
January 18th, 2005, 05:57 AM
When you are ready for tires, call the Tire Rack and have them drop shipped to us and we can mount and balance them for you. The kit will have to have tires and wheels for Carlisle.

Alan

Naumoff
January 18th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Clay If I'm going to go through a set of at least rear tires I'll buy the goodyears first and then the by the fall I can get a set from Tireguy.
Alan, I am planning a trip to visit you and Bill. So I'll bring the tires and wheels to you. Will let you know before I show up at your door.

Thanks for info on the tirerack. I thought I searched there and no tires found in the rear sizes. I'll check again. My brother is an automechanic and has tire resources, I'll check with him too.

Tony

pgermond
January 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Tony,

I bought my tires from the Tire Rack and had them dropped shipped to Unique (BFG 245/60-15 $69, 295/50-15 $94), Painless! If I had it to do over again I would seriously consider the Yokohama's, or until something better comes along (especially if you plan on melting the rears within a few months [8D]).

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Naumoff
January 18th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Might try the Yokohamas. Price sound good on the BFG. I have a little time. I figured If I had my tires and wheels with me I could set them up in the garage and dream I was racing in my Cobra[8D] at Sebring or something like that.

Tony;)

clayfoushee
January 18th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I can tell you the BFGs are bricks. You'll burn your clutch out before you wear them out......they're so damn hard. But, I don't think any of the other choices are much better. I've heard from several who have run both, that the Yoko's are slightly better, but not much.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Naumoff
January 18th, 2005, 06:33 PM
It just ain't fair!! Well It sounds like tireguy will make a fotune if he comes through with a good tire. What about racing slicks with treads cut in them? Just a thought. I know before Mickey Thompson came out with his treaded slicks that is what street racers did.

Tony

Brent
January 19th, 2005, 04:49 AM
BFG and Hoosier both make a street legal race tire. If you decide to use them just put a cheap paint job on the car as the tires will sandblast the paint off of the sides anyway.

It is a bad deal with the 15" tires. I have the third set off of the car and I am shipping them to "Tireguy" to be cut apart and inspected. I am VERY excited about the next set. Here is a little info:

245/60/15 front
295/50/15 rear
hybrid semi soft street compound
flat profile tread design
tires to be shaved round on a tire uniformity machine
tires to be "dough" balanced at the factory

Dough balance was a new one on me. Tireguy explained that he manufactures airplane tires for Goodyear and the FAA regulations require the tire to be balanced prior to mounting. OPn the "Cobra" tires they will allow the tire to cure, mount it, shave it, and then spin it to see where the out of balance area is. They will mark this area on the outside of the tire and unmount it. They then will apply layers of a fast cure rubber mixed with red lead to the inside of the tire in the area designated by the balance machine until the correct ammount of weight is added. His goal is a round, flat, balanced, light weight,tire for our cars. I have no idea if this will pan out but he has been great so far.

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

eliminator
January 19th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Brent,

He has 3 months to get us some good tires, must have by May.
Sounds like it is a possibility.
Sure would make the Breakfast Runs in September more exciting[}:)].

Rick

eliminator
January 19th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Alan,

While Naumoff is at you place with the tires and Trigo wheels he could go ahead and fit them to the Trigo Adapters:D:D
FUN FUN;)

Rick

gasman
January 20th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Brent, It is amazing to me the expense Tireguy is willing make so that we have a perfect tire. This guy is either obsessed or realizes how big the market could potentially be. How fast will he be able to produce these tires?

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

pgermond
January 20th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I've lost track throgh all the various threads on this topic, here and on CC - has a price been determined?

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

clinck
January 23rd, 2005, 12:38 PM
Tony,

Congrat's on your new car. Thrsr guys are right. There's a bunch of folks here that know how to build these cars the correct way.Although I bought a completed car, I know mine now from the inside out after having to solve a miriad of small problems not withstanding the top end rebuild of my 351W stroker. After a year, she's finally sorted out and running fine. These cars are way too much fun! Enjoy yours!

Sundown

Naumoff
January 23rd, 2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks Sundown,
I don't think I will get much sleep between now and the end of April when I will be able to pick up my Cobra and engine and trans at Carlisle.
I have been keeping a watch on the builds to see what guys are running into as they progress. I will definately pick everyones brains when I start my build. What is the best way to support the body when I take it for paint? Should I build a frame with casters to support and move it?
Tony

Unique 427 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS