PDA

View Full Version : Firestone tires

Naumoff
January 19th, 2005, 03:35 AM
At the Tire Rack I found Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires with the highest rating in the bunch. The dry traction was was rated supurb and was leaps and bounds over the Goodyears. Anybody ever use these tires?

thanks for your input
Tony

Brent
January 19th, 2005, 04:53 AM
For one reason or another I have never had good luck with a Firestone tire. The race slicks were &%$# and the Steeltex on my Superdutys have all been replaced due to "reasons". I would probably lean toward a Eagle GTII, BFG, or if you can handle the name,the Yokohama Avid. I do not know about the Dunlop Qualifier or the Cooper Cobra GT.

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

clayfoushee
January 19th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I had them on a 69 Camaro, and they weren't bad, but do they have a wide enough tire for the rears?

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Naumoff
January 19th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Tire Rack Listed a 295 50 15 and the Yokohamas were 2nd best. I like running blackwall tires except for my '77 Jeep CJ7 so if I did buy the yok's it wouldn't kill me. I have some time to decide on the tires.Tireguy sounds great. If he produces a tire for the Cobras I will buy a set.
Tony

Naumoff
January 20th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Brent,
Manufactors always seem to put the worst tires on work trucks which need to have the best tires on them. Your right the Firestone steeltex are crap!!! I had to replace a set on my work van in under 20K. But I can say I also had to replace a set of Goodyear Wrangler H/T on the work Pick-up.The Dunlaps that came on a car my wife had were junk. Had to replace them in less than 20K. All had plenty of tread. All tire companies make cheap crappy tires. SO I can't base my decision on that. I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler RT/S on my Jeep and they are awesome. Wet weather traction is great. Its A '77 CJ w/304 4v, headers, T-18 and 3.73 so I can also light up the tires when I want to. My point is tireguy better come through or we are all coming after you for getting our hopes up!!![}:)]

Brent
January 20th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Quote by Naumoff: "My point is Tireguy better come through or we are all coming after you for getting our hopes up!!![}:)]"

I hope he does too. I have mounted, balanced, and run road force variation on 4 sets[xx(]

But if he does not come through I will send my adress and directions :D

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

pgermond
January 20th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Go with the Yok's if you are just going to melt them. They are the right size and inexpensive. Save the $$$ for the good stuff Brent's cooking up with the Tireguy.

My $0.02

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)