PDA

View Full Version : brakes

olblu66
January 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM
Took the car out this afternoon. The weather in Ga. was nice. I started to get a clicking noise when i applied the brakes. Right at the far bottom peddal , then a click. I looked at the brake peddal and found nothing. The only thing i saw was this threaded rod assembly that is very loose and walbaly. SORRY ..... NOT REAL GOOD AT SPELLING.

pgermond
January 21st, 2005, 05:56 PM
The rod behind the brake pedal is the bias bar that determines your front and rear braking pressure to the master cylinders. When adjusted properly it applies the correct amount of fluid to front and rear calipers. If it is loose it needs to be adjusted and tightened.

Wilwood makes a pretty slick Remote Balance Bar Cable Adjuster that mounts under the dash (p/n/ 340-4990) that eliminates the need to crawl into the footbox to adjust - you can adjust f/r from the comfort of the driver's seat. I installed one and love it!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

eliminator
January 22nd, 2005, 06:59 AM
See our old threads on how to adjust the balance bar.

Rick

Master
January 22nd, 2005, 07:39 AM
The balance bar should be somewhat loose so it can do it's job "front to rear braking". Alan has told me in the past people generally tighten these too much. Hope that helps.

Scott
SA 428
3:54

pgermond
January 22nd, 2005, 08:49 AM
Should clarify - the jam nut on the threaded rod needs to be tight. Master is correct, the assembly is a little sloppy behing the pedal, which is normal.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

olblu66
January 22nd, 2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks pgermond master and eliminatod. The snaping noise i hav'ent figured out yet.Only happens when you push hard on the brakes.

ralphscott
January 23rd, 2005, 07:31 AM
Check the bolts on your front caliper where the caliper mounting plates attach to the spindle.

Ralph

spd4me
January 24th, 2005, 07:24 AM
olblu66
I had a Rodeo with loose fitting brake pads. Every time I applied the brakes they clicked as the pad set against the caliper. Check your pads to see if they are real loose. It could also be if your front brake bias isn't right, the front brake may not be fully ingageing until you've pressed the petal hard.