PDA

View Full Version : Repainting steering wheel hub

Russ Dickey
February 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM
While doing some work on the Cobra today, I noticed that a huge chunk of paint, about 3" long, had flaked off of the aluminum steering wheel hub. So I took off the wheel and the hub to get a closer look, and as I did, a bunch more starts flaking off right in my hands.

I'm going over to a buddy's house to watch the Super Bowl in a little bit, and he happens to have a bead blaster, so we're going to strip the rest of the paint off. It appears that this part was not primered when painted originally.

So my question to you guys is: have any of you had to repaint these hubs before? What's the best way to prep them so that this won't happen again? Is there a preferred paint & primer to use?

Thanks,

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

weaver
February 6th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Some hubs come painted from the factory and some are painted by the customer, I leave the original aluminum finish when I build a turnkey. I think you should use a self etching primer then paint, that would work the best.

Alan

nolastyankee
February 6th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Russ,
We just repainted ours on the Spence car. The aluminum look is nice, but with a black steering shaft and black turn indicator housing, we elected to repaint. We bead blasted, primed, then used black wrinkle paint and it looks great. We also painted the black plastic housing around the turn signal indicator to match. They look better than new!

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

eliminator
February 7th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Like Alan said, use an acid etching primer on the aluminum if you paint it. This is a must for painting any aluminum, wheels, ect.

Rick

Russ Dickey
February 7th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Fellas:
Thank you very much. The part blasted nicely, and I will be stopping on my way home from work today to buy some self-etching primer and some paint.

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue