PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Spin Part 2

spd4me
February 7th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I tried you'alls advice of flooring at 2000 rpm and check tach against speedometer. My eye balls can only look at one at a time. Tried it several times and wasn't satisfied with results and then the light bulb came on inside my head. I was on a non-interstate 4 lane with a divided median with some real long curves. Put the car in 3rd gear at 2500-3000 rpms and floored it. I figured if its wheel spin, the rear end would come around. If not then it had to be the clutch. It seems there was a bit of slippage in the clutch before the rear wheels hooked up and started to slide. Looks like I'm in the market for a new clutch.

rdorman
February 7th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I like the center force clutches. But what ever you buy, talk to them and buy honestly. Don't buy the hot race clutch unless that is what you are doing. If you do..... you will be sorry!

Rick

dmiller
February 7th, 2005, 04:45 PM
i too am happy with my centerforce.

doug

spd4me
February 8th, 2005, 06:11 AM
There's so much to choose from. What's diference between Long Style and Borg & Beck Style? They both have the three prongs. What's a good psi rate? Are your Centerforce clutches Diaphragm Style?

Mike Geddes
February 8th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Get an Automatic trans.
Mike

Mike Geddes

spd4me
February 8th, 2005, 03:01 PM
An automatic would sure solve alot of problems. Slave cylinder fade, line over heating, clutch slippage, but there's nothing like winding it out through the gears.

GeorgiaSnake
February 15th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Hey spd sorry for the delay on the clutch question. Mine is a Ram 11" Power Grip Part # 98935. If you need a 10 1/2" it is Part # 98882. It takes a significant amount of pedal pressure and sometimes has a tiny bit of chatter when cold but it flat engages. I love it.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

spd4me
February 16th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Randy
How did you determine if 11" or 10-1/2". Is it a "Long Style" (three prongs)?
Bob

Tony Radford
February 16th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Bob,

Randy and I (and I believe a few others) went through this exercise fairly recently. It seems to me that a clutch that operates very smoothly just doesn't hold up to 300-400 ft/lbs of RWT for any length of time with slippage becoming a problem. My original clutch lasted less than 4K miles before it was worn out. As you move into more "resilient" clutch kits, street manners begin to degrade. I didn't know what "chatter" was until a did an upgrade. It made driving my car a chore as opposed to a pleasure. The point in all this is that you should be as convinced as possible that you are matching longevity with driveability when you decide on a product. I believe Randy and I are both running long-style clutches. I had to extend the clutch pedal travel to the absolute max in order to make the clutch work. I'm actually still having some issues. Be sure you don't opt to install DOT 5 hydraulic fluid in the clutch system. I did and had to replace my slave cylinder. What a mess!

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

spd4me
February 17th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Tony
Thanks for your advice. Never use Dot 5 Silicone unless your going to store a vehicle for a long time. Its not for a daily driver. Just curious, is the chatter from to much pressure on the plate when starting at low RPM?
Bob