PDA

View Full Version : Bump Steer

eliminator
February 22nd, 2005, 06:05 AM
Bump Steer

Bump steer is the toe-in or toe-out of the front wheels as the suspension goes from normal ride height through full bump (suspension system moves up) to full droop (suspension system moves down). Measurement is usually limited to 3" up and 3" down from ride height. It is specified either by a graph or measurements at 1", 2", and 3".

Bump steer affects handling much as setting toe-in does. All cars have a certain designed-in pattern of bump steer.

Checking Bump Steer

First you must determine the position of the suspension system at ride height. This is a starting point as this is where normal toe-in is set. Later you are going to put the car on a ride height block and remove the front wheel and spring.

There are two easy ways to determine the front suspension position
Measure the length of the shock absorber.
Measure the angle of the upper A frame.
Choose one and take the measurement with the car at ride height. Also measure the frame-to-ground clearance at this time.
Make a ride height block from wood (or anything solid) the same as frame-to-ground to place under the frame when you take the front wheel off.
Put the ride height block under the frame and remove the wheel and spring. Also disconnect the sway bar. Place a hydraulic (or floor) jack under the A frame and raise the suspension to ride height by measuring the shock length or A frame angle as before.
Bolt the aluminum plate to the hub. If necessary you can drill other holes for your particular car. (After you're done, keep the bolts with the set for future use.) Rotate the plate so that the small level shows horizontal.
Lean the bump steer gauge (tubular frame with dial indicator) against the plate at a slight angle (approx. 15ยบ) so that the upper tube is parallel with the plate and the dial indicator tip and roller bearing contact the plate. Loosen the knurled knobs adjust the height so the dial indicator tip and roller bearing are next to 0" on the plate scale. Rotate the dial on the dial indicator to 0".
Using your hydraulic jack move the suspension system until the dial indicator is at the 1" mark. Note which direction the dial indicator moves to see if the wheel toes in or out. The reading you get on the dial indicator is the actual amount of bump steer. It's that simple. Record this and go onto to 2" and 3". If you want to make a more detailed measurement, you can take readings every 1/4" or 1/2" and plot a graph.
Note: When you are taking measurements the steering must not move. If necessary, lock the steering in place. Also, the hub and plate must not rotate. If it does, turn it back to horizontal using the small level.
Now go back to 0" and take similar measurements as the suspension systems moves down. Repeat this procedure on the other side of the car. Keep the readings as part of your records.
To adjust bump steer refer to your setup sheet or manual, or there are several good books on the market that describe how to make adjustments. Because suspensions vary widely, it is not practical for us to go into detail on actual adjustment procedures.
When you are done with the adjustments, re-check as before.

Now with all this said, the suspension travel on our cars is probably no more than 2" up (suspension moves up) and 1" down (Suspension droop) a total of 3". This is a positive factor and would minimize bump steer.

Rick

weaver
February 22nd, 2005, 07:33 AM
To have enough bump steer to upset the handling the susp would have to travel about 5" to 6", if it does you are probably on your way over and bump steer will be the least of your worries. Ernie Elliott built one of our cars and had his chassis man check the chassis on a chassis plate, then they checked bump steer and chose not to alter the set up we had, he did install a power rack but was unable to control the car and decided to take it out. Joe Trout is one of the fastest Cobra racers winning his class several years in a row and has only changed the front brakes and spring rate. Track time is the best way to go faster.

Alan

brfutbrian
February 22nd, 2005, 02:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by weaver

To have enough bump steer to upset the handling the susp would have to travel about 5" to 6", if it does you are probably on your way over and bump steer will be the least of your worries.
Alan
i was waitng for that to be said, i just didnt want to burst any bubbles. later, brian.

Brent
February 22nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
Bump steer is a VERY important aspect to a stocker type drag car. These cars experience up to 12" in front end travel from max extension during launch to maximum compression during landing. I doubt a Cobra ever sees much over 1.5" of travel on the street or 3" of travel when racing.

But thats just my opinion.

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

gasman
February 22nd, 2005, 06:05 PM
Hey guys, the jury is still out. I have no idea if my car will drive any better/worse or different than it did before. My car had serious issues with hunt and search on accel/decel, simply wasn't fun to drive. I'll be able to tell you later this week if we found something you would be interested in. More importantly if you want to drive and see for yourself, no problem. See you at Homecoming, this was an experiment, thats all.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

ralphscott
February 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
Bum Steer isn't that a tough piece of meat?? :D

Ralph

brfutbrian
February 22nd, 2005, 09:35 PM
steve, if what youre having done doesnt fix it, im sure im not the only one who`ll want to take a look at homecoming. though its difficult to diagonose a suspension/steering problem without being hands on (for me anyways) i think the new spring/shock package youre going with will help incredibly. man, you need to catch a break with that car. brighter days ahead. later brian