PDA

View Full Version : Jag Rear Side Seals

Russ Dickey
February 22nd, 2005, 11:39 AM
Fellas:
I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this old Jag rear, and just send the whole dang thing to Butch Capps and have him build me a new one.

I have now discovered that the rear side seals on my car are leaking, which is getting diff fluid on the rear brake discs, and flinging it everywhere. So the question is: how hard is it to replace these seals? Can I do it myself?

Also, I broke one of the safety-wired bolts that hold the differential into the carrier. Luckily, it's one of the lower ones, but what a pain. I've read in the threads that Unique offers some kind of bracing/arms that help this, but is there anything else I can do to avoid breaking the rest of them?

Thank,

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

ralphscott
February 22nd, 2005, 06:52 PM
My suggestion Russ is the one you have already arrived at. When in doubt Butch. You will be awed with the quality of the final product and it will be bullet-proof!

Ralph

eliminator
February 23rd, 2005, 05:31 AM
Russ,

If the only problems you have are leaks then it dosn't really need to go to Butch.
The stub axle seals are o rings and the originals leaked too. They are not that hard to fix. You can take the 4 bolts out and pull the axle away and the hub assembly will swing down. This is the area where there are probably shims to adjust rear camber. This would be a good time to adjust it if it is off (by adding or removing shims) the ride height must be exactly where you want it before camber is checked.
Anyway you remove the 4 stub axle retaining bolts pull the axle out to reveal the o ring seal. If it looks OK, not torn, clean everything really good, use some black RTV high temperature sealant around the o ring and replace. No need to replace the o ring seal because you probably can't find them and if so they will leak again. Butch uses the old seals and applies the RTV sealant to make them leak free. Also do a search on the stub axle, we have been down this road before.
Good luck.
Get the bottom plate that bolts to the bottom of the the JAG rear-end to elimate your broken bolt problem. If not you will deal with it again and again[V].

Rick

will butterworth
February 23rd, 2005, 06:22 AM
Russ , I dropped the oil and replaced with lucas reg. 90 wght/140, will see how it does, if it gets no better will do the rtv. trick Rick mentioned. Will-alabama be sure to bolt up that bottom plate Rick is talking about.Maurice has them.

spd4me
February 24th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Did all that once. If I remember, removed 4 locking nuts that hold half shaft to rear end, removed calipers, removed rotor. I think mine had 5 bolts. I do remember when I put it back that before I put the one big nut that holds the splined shaft, I filled it up with RTV sealant before I put the washer and nut on. I aslo remember a large seal that I replaced with one from Federal Mogal. Go to a foreighn car place or book store and get an old XKE Jaguar manual. If you don't like grease under your nails, farm out work.