PDA

View Full Version : Outboard rear brake option?

Chics LI
February 28th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I have a question concerning rear brakes.
After looking over available options on Unique's site I can not find any info on outboard rear disk brakes as offered by ERA as an option on their cars. I am thinking about a Unique FIA tuenkey but I DO NOT want inboard rear disks. Anyone know if the Weavers offer this option?

Tom S.

Adrian472
February 28th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Hi Tom
I not sure if Unique offer outboard brakes, but its something that can be done using existing off the shelf Jaguar rear end parts from the later XJ40 sedan. There is a company in the UK that offers the parts for this conversion all you have to do is supply them with the length of you existing halfshaft and the thickness of you pin drive wheel adaptor if your using one, and they custom build the parts to suit with uprights rotors calipers and halfshafts ready to fit. The only thing they dont do is supply a new handbrake cable, but you might be able to split the one supplied by Unique to each new caliper but not certain about that. www.ward-engineering.co.uk
I hope this is some use to you.
Adrian

Poorboy
February 28th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Unique does not offer outboard rear brakes.

GeorgiaSnake
February 28th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Hey Tom,

Just curious why you want outboard brakes. It seems a trade off - less unsprung weight vs possible better cooling.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

TurnpikeBoy
March 1st, 2005, 10:20 AM
Keep in mind, LI, that the Jag rear-end cage is NOT used in these installs.

Getting to the pads is not a big deal. You need to see/drive one before it becomes a deal-killer. [:P]

Yeehah

Russ Dickey
March 3rd, 2005, 09:14 AM
I've always heard that outboard brakes are preferred for a variety of reasons:

1. Better cooling
2. Easier maintenance
3. Don't risk losing brake performance when your rear diff side seals start leaking

Because of this, I was also researching an outboard conversion, but it sounds like it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

ralphscott
March 3rd, 2005, 02:45 PM
Russ seems like a lot of work too me as well and more than likely require some suspension mods as well.

Ralph