PDA

View Full Version : Original Twin Paxton Cobra

Naumoff
March 16th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Just come across this web site for one of the original twin paxton Cobras being restored in 1981. I thought of Aggressor but know that all will enjoy. I like the valve covers. Shows remote oil filter in front of radiator with fans, and a good picture of the diff. cooler and pumps.[:P]

http://www.wurthitdesigns.com/twinpaxton.htm

Tony:D

Unique 427 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

pgermond
March 16th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Very cool [8D] Thanks for sharing!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brent
March 16th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Tony,

That was great!

Thank you

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Naumoff
March 16th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Found out Shelby owns the car again. Here's a picture.
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Naumoff/Shelby_Cobra_Twin_Super_Charged2_001.sized.jpg

Tony

Jerry Cowing
March 16th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I think I like their rear wheel set up. CSX 3017 has both an upper and lower control arm to the rear wheels. Our Uniques only have the lower control arm and the axle holding the tire camber. Don't know which is safer. I'd have to look at more pictures of the 3017 set up. I also like the way they cooled the Jag rear end fluid.

Not much room under that hood. Plastic fan blades, power brakes and an automatic tranny, interesting pictures.

Jer

ralphscott
March 17th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Thanks Tony for the story and the pictures realy neat I also noted six studs on the front brake hubs. ?? Thay car was quite a bit more complicated apart from the superchargers.

Ralph

Aggressor
March 17th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Tony - I've had occassional contact with Rick Wurth in the past. I did not know about the twin paxton car being sold to Shelby. The car was in Pittsburgh,PA in a collection at Auto Palace Inc. I last visited the car about 18 months ago.

-Geary

Naumoff
March 18th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Geary,

This was second hand info from a local Cobra club member. Maybe it's Bill Cosby's car in Pittsburg? Do you know the CSX# of the car in Pittsburg? Maybe Shelby made another one. Would be Interesting to find out. Looks like a trip to Pittsburg and the Auto Palace.

Tony

ralphscott
March 18th, 2005, 04:06 AM
According to Brian Laban there were only 2 such cars one that Shelby owned (CSX 3015)and one that Bill Cosby owned (CSX 3303)

Ralph

Aggressor
March 18th, 2005, 03:59 PM
CSX3033 - The Cosby car was sold and 2nd owner Tony Maxey was killed in an accident that virtually destroyed the car. The car ended up in England, was reconstructed, and was offered for sale on the internet in October 2002. I will attempt to attach the images to this reply. Auto Palace charges $100 to go through the museum collection. This is a base charge for one person or a small group. With 9 friends it becomes a more reasonable price.

ralphscott
March 20th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I'm sure we will go visit when I visit my son and his wife and grandkids in Pgh. Great pics Geary!!

Ralph

eliminator
March 21st, 2005, 05:50 AM
Ralph,

All Halibrand knock off wheels are 6 pin. Only adapter type knock off's such as Trigo's are 5 pin. The reason is the 6 pin are made into the hub assembly while on the Trigo's you have to work with a 5 bolt threaded lug. The pins are actually threaded on the 5 pin while the 6 pin drives are not.

Rick

ralphscott
March 21st, 2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks Rick I thought that looked strange. Hope all is well with you and yours. Sent off the registration to Weavers on Friday. See you in Gadsden by the grace of God.

Ralph

Naumoff
March 23rd, 2005, 05:39 AM
So............ Either Shelby built a new one or bought the original back. I say he built a new one. I hear that he is pretty tight. And if there is only one original left it would bring a nice chunk of change.$$$$$$$$ !!!!!

Tony

ralphscott
March 23rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Tony, SAAC calls those cars that are substantially rebuilt to original specifications (including the replacement of the main frame tubes) but in which some part of the original car existed prior to the rebuild, and documentable paperwork such as a traceable bill-of-sale, a registration or such, still exists a REPLICA
No joke

Ralph

Aggressor
March 23rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Tony, I've heard figures in the million dollar range.
Here's a photo of some the Auto Palace collection. The car resides with fast company.
-Geary

Naumoff
March 24th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Ralph........what? CSX3033 does not look like the original twin paxton car anymore. So is it just an original street Cobra now?

Geary, I couldn't find the phone # of Auto Palace in Pittsburg. Do you have the # and address?

Tony

Naumoff
March 25th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Ralph,

I think I git it now. Your saying that a totaled original Cobra put back together is considered by SAAC a replica even with the original title and serial #. That's not right. The car should be an original car just not the way it came from Shelby America, Inc. What made them dicide that?

Tony

ralphscott
March 25th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Tony, It is their classification system to preserve the value of the cars so they grade them like eggs. The four categories are Original; Original/restored; Original/rebodied; and Replica. Here are the definitions:

Original: describes a car whose main frame tubes and pieces carrying the serial numbers have not been replaced or altered. (items that carry identification numbers include the chassis, the hood and hood latches, door hinges, the transmission tunnel, and the rear bulkhead, the numbers identify both chassis and major body parts as being original)

Original/restored: referring to a car having less than half its original superstructure or bodywork replaced but not the main frame tubes or other pieces carring serial numbers.

Original/rebodied: defines a car having more than half of its original superstructure or bodywork replaced, but again not the main frame tubes or any other pieces carring numbers.

Replica: I already posted on this thread

Amazing isn't it :D

Ralph

Aggressor
March 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Tony,
Here's the info.

Auto Palace Porsche, LLC
4627 Baum Blvd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-687-4000
http://auto-palace.porschedealer.com
-Geary

Naumoff
March 30th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Geary,

Thanks for the info. I have to plan a trip up there. And thanks for bringing an awesome Cobra to all of our attentions.

Thanks Again,
Tony

Aggressor
March 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Tony, Call Auto Palace and check hours and pricing for the museum. The times that I've been there the hours and ground rules for getting in changed. The first time there was a seven dollar donation per person and they were only open on Saturday's. The last time it was $100.00 per single person or small group and prior arrangements had to be made for your visit. In both cases we were lucky enough to be taken through unofficially by their receptionist for a charity donation.
-Geary

LTD428
April 30th, 2005, 12:55 AM
If I am not mistaken, by looking at the reconstruction of CSX-3033, it retains very little similarity to its original state if it were an exact twin to CSX-3015 as 3015 is an automatic with black interior, and even though they did not make it twin paxton as it was, they appear to have put webbers on it instead of the Edelbrock crossram intake and the 2 4 bbls. Also, the hood is incorrect as the two cars probably shared the same hood design and the reconstruction is using a much different low-profile scoop hood whereas 3015 has its own unique scoop. (Also, Im thinking that 3033 was not originally right hand drive). Im sure there were originally subtle differences, but all in all, though it still carries its original CSX number I could not see how it would be right to classify it as the same vehicle that it at one time was, but truly a shame for that matter to classify it as a replica.

Brent
April 30th, 2005, 07:24 AM
LTD428,

Good information, welcome to the forum.

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

LTD428
April 30th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks, I just stumbled across your forum while looking for further info on the twin paxton Cobra as it intrigues me to no end and hoped to maybe help shed a little light on the subject with the little bit of knowledge I have about it.

ralphscott
May 1st, 2005, 04:33 PM
Welcome LTD428 appreciate your interest and would like to here more of what you find out.

Ralph