PDA

View Full Version : Raydot Mirror

wlewis
March 16th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks to advice on this forum,I just bought a Raydot mirror and windshield mounting bracket for my Unique Cobra. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate the correct length metric screws to mount the bracket to the windshield frame. I need screws 1/8" longer than those already in side of the frame. Any longer, I risk cracking windshield. I was successful in cutting stainless screws the right length, but since the ends are not tapered exactly like the originals I'm afraid I'll strip the treads if trying to force them. The supplier of the Raydot doesn't sell hardware nor was he able to refer me to anyone other than the winshield frame manufacturer. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find the hardware?

GeorgiaSnake
March 16th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Walter I think the screws are some kind of bizzar thread - whitworth (sp) - You can taper the end of a cut screw with a small file - I did mine and have no problems.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

pgermond
March 16th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Got mine at Ace hardware, of all places!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

nolastyankee
March 16th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Walter,
Just a reminder, most of the parts on these cars are standard english thread because the cars were made in the UK. I have not found a part on the car yet that is metric, and we have taken apart everything!

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

wlewis
March 16th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I've tried most of local hardware stores, but I'll try some gentle tapering with a file. walter

COBRAGAR
March 17th, 2005, 05:08 AM
what i did was take off the existing screw on windshield frame .when over ace hardware to nuts and screw dept. was able to locate the right size from there stock but was a little to long so i took a nut screwed it in and cut the excess and used to nut to clean the thread .later installed w/some loctite .i believe thread size is #8x20 but check anyway. it was s/steel w/a phillips head.good luck