PDA

View Full Version : 427 Timing

Gerry
March 30th, 2005, 06:05 PM
I removed my distributor in order to install my heater hose and neglected to mark the distributor location. I have the #1 cylinder and rotor lined up at TDC, however when I attempt to start the engine it starts to turn over, but I also see sparks around the carb. I assume I have to advance or retard the timing and I would certainly appreciate any suggestions. By the way, it ran great before I decided I could make it even better.

Gerry

Engine FE 427
MSD Distributor
MSD 6AL
MSD Blaster 3

pgermond
March 30th, 2005, 06:27 PM
"...it ran great before I decided I could make it even better." Ain't that the way it always works?!? [B)] I replaced my distributor awhile back with a new MSD Pro Billet, and to my delight (and relief) it fired right up. Sparks around the carb? Yikes!!!

Make sure you have #1 at TDC (with all due respect - #1 is passenger-side front). This link is for the distributor I think you might have (mechanical advance) - complete installation guide with illustrations - http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/8594_frm23872.pdf

If this isn't the correct part# go to this link for a complete listing - http://www.msdignition.com/1distributors.htm

Good luck!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brent
March 30th, 2005, 08:41 PM
You probably have the dist. 180 degrees off. 4 stroke engine so the piston hits the top twice.

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

K.Wilson
March 31st, 2005, 08:16 AM
Gerry,
The distributor turns at one half the crankshaft speed, or, the crank turns twice for a single rotation of the distributor. You probably have the crank at TDC (top dead center)on the end of the exhaust stroke. Where you need to have it is at the top of the compression stroke.
I would turn the crank one revolution place it at TDC then re-install the distributor with the rotor pointing at #1.
Another method would be to pull the #1 spark plug and turn the engine over with your finger over the plug hole, you will be able to feel the compressed air pushing your finger off the hole when you are on the compression stroke then stop on TDC and re-install the distributor.
Keith