PDA

View Full Version : Initial timing? (462 stroker)

excelguru
April 5th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Yesterday I found that my initial timing (at idle, no mechanical advance) was around 23° to 24° BTDC. That seemed a tad much, so I backed it down to 11° BTDC. The idle slowed considerably and now makes the wonderful "poTAto poTAto poTAto" sound. Throttle response seems better but I wasn't able to test it much in the drive from my friend's shop to my home (11 miles through a 35 MPH town where everyone knows who owns that noisy red car). I'll drive it to work today and see how it does on roads that don't participate in neighborhood watch programs :D.

So here's the question: what initial timing are you guys running (especially you 462 stroker guys or similar)? I can't read my full-advance timing because the graduations on my harmonic balancer stop at 30° and it's somewhere north of there.

Keith :)
My car is FOR SALE! (http://webpages.charter.net/excelguru/UMC_4_Sale.htm)

Brent
April 5th, 2005, 04:48 AM
I run 12 initial and 36 total. I have the two light silver springs in my MSD dist. and it totals out at about 2200 rpm.

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

eliminator
April 5th, 2005, 06:06 AM
I run 10 degree inital and 38 degrees total. Most FE engines like 8-12 degrees inital and 36-38 degrees total. I am also using the lightest springs so the advance will come in quick. The small bushing on the MSD gives me a total advance of 28 degrees.

Rick

excelguru
April 5th, 2005, 07:02 AM
The car felt MUCH better. Throttle response was a lot better. I've recently considered replacing the electronic Ford distributor with a billet MSD unit. I would also replace the plug wires if I did that (with 8.5-mm units). Does anyone have experience with keeping the Ford Duraspark (or whatever it's called) ignition module with the MSD distributor? I'd rather not purchase a 6AL unless I absolutely have to. Below the Ford logo, in small print, it reads "made by MSD".

Keith :)
My car is FOR SALE! (http://webpages.charter.net/excelguru/UMC_4_Sale.htm)

K.Wilson
April 5th, 2005, 11:43 AM
I run at 10 initial and 38 total but it is not all in until 2800 RPM. I also do not have a real "big" cam, Comp Cams 270 Magnum. I have tried it with up to 46 total but had some "light throttle" detonation with anything over 40 total. Too much retard can contribute to high temps. even at idle.
Keith