PDA

View Full Version : Gator Guard

Jeff 427
April 14th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Rick

I know you used a product from Eastwoods called "Gator Guard" for undercoating the body. Did you do the entire under side or just the wheel wells? Also how many coats and how much product did you use?
Thanks

Jeff

Unique 427 S/C #4279451
Southern Automotive FE406
4 Speed Toploader (wide)

eliminator
April 18th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Jeff,

I used 2 of the Gator Guard's. The 1st one did about 3/4 of the car and the second can finished up and I had plenty left over. You only apply one coat, it's about 3/16" thick, maybe more in some places. Did the entire front fender wheel well area, then the rear wheel area, and the fiberglass under the fuel tank. It's a messy job and you have to tape everything up, then take the tape off when the epoxy material is wet. If not you will not get the tape off. My painter had a Shultz Gun, used for undercoating, it worked good, wear rubber gloves and eye protection.
Really makes it nice to keep the wheel wells clean, a sponge a soapy water once a year does the trick.

Also I shot the entire underbody with Duplicolor Spray Bed Liner, used about 2 - 3 cans. It's tough but a smoother texture and not as thick. Protects the fiberglass and makes it look good, also easy to clean.

Rick

Jeff 427
April 19th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Rick,

Thanks for the info and advise on Gator Guard. I spoke with my painter(I also asked him to speak to Alan Weaver and Bruce Bunn, which ne did) and he is going to spray the underside in the same body color (1966 Ford Candy Apple Red! Good Choice!) and I will hand apply the Gator Guard with a roller and brush to the wheel well area's. I don't know if I could spray it on and get more on the car where I want it than on me! Eastwood's says you can roll it on, I am going to try it, Hope It Works!!

Jeff

Unique 427 S/C #4279451
Southern Automotive FE406
4 Speed Toploader (wide)

ralphscott
April 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Jeff that is what I had done on my car same color as well. Magnificent color
It actually looks a little darker in a non-flash light. Interestingly Brent, Rick, and I all have the same base color '66 Ford Candy Apple red but they each have a slightly different tone

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/ralphscott/Sway Bar 2.jpg

Ralph

Slither
April 19th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I am curious, what is the Ford paint code for the paint that you guys are using[?]

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

ralphscott
April 19th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Paul -- PPG Deltron 2000 DBC 71528SC Ford Candy Apple Red

Ralph

Slither
April 19th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks! I saw the pics on the other thread...

http://www.uniquecobra.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1294

It looks really nice [:P][:P]!

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

eliminator
April 20th, 2005, 05:42 AM
I think rolling it on would work well, it's a messy job. If you get it in your hair on on your skin it will be there until you loose your hair or shed the skin[V]. I got a little on the bathtub (caught hell for that) and it was there for 12 months of scrubbing[}:)]. Clean all the glass surface with Acetone to completely degrease and get the wax film off. Then the stuff will be there as long as the car is around:).

Rick