PDA

View Full Version : Off topic: Mustang Header Install

pbrown
April 25th, 2005, 11:02 PM
A buddy is trying to get these headers to fit. The drivers side is not clearing the floor pan. The installers want to try bending the header down. Does anyone have an idea? It looks like the engine is torqued over to the right. I recommended changing the engine mounts and tranny mount to see if the engine would straigten up a bit - no luck. This is a 69 Mustang Convertable with a 351W and Hooker full length headers.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pbrown/header install.JPG

Patrick
---------------------------------------------

Naumoff
April 26th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Sorry if this Question sound dumb, but are the headers made for the Mustang or are you trying to get a set of headers to work on the Stang that were labled Ford V8 or something generic like that?
It looks like they could be for a bigger car.
The convertables also had beefed up chassies due to the unit body construction.
It might be the camera angle but that looks like alot of bending.
I would return the headers and try a differant set.
I'd get short headers because you have to take that header off to replace the starter.That's why I like the Cobra. BIG headers and you can still get to the starter.
Sorry not much help Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

ralphscott
April 26th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Patrick I'm with Tony on this. If the engine and tranny are original and these are the correct headers for the a '69 Mustang with the engine and tranny combo then it is more than likely with the stiffening required on the convertible versus the coupe, broken engine mount or a twisted frame section. I'd have him contact Hooker tech before I would examine further. The picture sure does make it look like the engine is canted to the right, that does not look right.

Ralph

eliminator
April 26th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Other issues here rather than the headers, the engine is canted toward the passenger side of the car. I don't see where the transmission mount has been touched, look at the bolts and the rubber mount. If this hasn't been wrecked there are issues with the motor mounts and the transmission mount.
Who changed the motor mounts if at all.

Rick

Brent
April 26th, 2005, 07:14 AM
By the looks of the oil pan, crossmember, steering rack, and everything else I would say your friend has some leaks he needs to adress and either the motor mounts are wrong, installed wrong, or oil soaked and junk. The rear trans mount is cocked and twisted. Not right.If this is like most 40 year old cars with multiple owners only GOD knows what has been done.

On the flip side headers are a royal pain in the a$$ no matter what you are working on. They never fit and no two sets are the same. Except for Maurices (-:

Have fun

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

pbrown
April 26th, 2005, 09:10 AM
The headers are the correct ones for this car. They are being installed by a muffler shop in Anchorage. I had them install new motor mounts. There must be something wrong with the chassis alignment. I wish I was up there to see for myself.

Naumoff
April 26th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Maybe the headers are for that car with a 302. The 351W is wider and maybe thats the problem. I'd check the part NO. just to be sure.
Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

pbrown
April 26th, 2005, 10:33 AM
This part number is the same for the 302 and the 351W. This car has a 351W.

Another thing - the right side is bolted in, the left side is still loose so is out to the left a bit. This photo was taken when there was a problem hitting the bellhousing. That has been resolved but the collector is still too high.

Patrick
---------------------------------------------

Justin Upchurch
April 26th, 2005, 06:48 PM
I would check to make sure the part number from another company is the same for the 351 as the 302. It just seems odd that a motor that is 2 inches wider would have the same part number.

Justin

nolastyankee
April 27th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Patrick,
I think we stumbled on your problem. Even though cylinder heads for the 302 and 351 are interchangable from a bolt pattern standpoint, a 351 is a wider motor because the deck is taller, putting the heads farther out from the centerline of the motor. Yes, the headers will fit, but as you see in this case, there is some modification required. Unless you can get 351 specific headers for that year car, you are going to have to modify something.

When we built my '66 Mustang I bought 289 specific headers and they still had to be bent slightly to fit around the crossmembers, mounts, and such. With 3 plants making Mustangs in the 60's from basically the same parts, there is definitely visible differences between. The MCA guys can tell a San Jose car from a Metuchen car from 5 feet away.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car