PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter system

Storm9400
April 29th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Any suggestions on a combination of in line filters that
will nearly eliminate the trash that is being pumped out of most crap 93 octane fuel pumps?

Have a Holley/Proform center section 750 vacuum secondary carb that
shuts down at a hint of impurity. Currently have an 85 micron
at the tank and a 60 micron after the pump.

Anyone running down in the 5-10 micron range with good results?
Any element preference: Paper vs Screen type/bronze sintered?

To leave a Cobra on the side of a busy road one has to muster
up a chunk of fortitude and take a hit on ones self esteem!

Any suggestions? Thanks Bill Strom

Naumoff
April 30th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Bill,

Having a finer filter will catch more stuff but will clog filter sooner and you will have to replace more often.
You probably are not getting trash to the carb but are catching it in the filters and restricting the flow to your carb.
If there is that much trash in the fuel I would switch to one filter with a glass type trap so the trash drops to the bottom without restricting the filter. This will also give you the ability to check the filter before a cruise and keep you from breaking down away from home.
To many filters can cause more problems. Such as fuel starvation because they restrict fuel flow even without having any trash in them. I would check the Gallons Per Hour flow on the filter you choose to match it with your engines needs.

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

Brent
April 30th, 2005, 07:21 AM
I have a single 30 micron filter. Never had an issue. You need to buy your fuel elsewhere or strain it as you put it in the tank.

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

ralphscott
May 1st, 2005, 04:39 PM
Storm, I am running two fuel filters one on my electric fuel pump (Jeggs # Spectre Clearview #2858) and a Fram (#HPC1) (Jeggs #410HPC1)up front were the original 427/428 had them placed. No problems. Hope this helps

Ralph