PDA

View Full Version : Here we go with another problem

jhaynie
May 1st, 2005, 04:47 PM
I took the car up to the grocery store this evening, and cruised around a little. After some driving I started smelling the dreaded "burnt clutch and/or brake" smell.

I checked all of the fluids. Brakes ok, but clutch fluid down some and dark. The brakes seemed to work as good as they ever did (you know what I mean), and I didn't feel any difference in the clutch after I topped the fluid off.

Any suggestions what to look for?

JOhn

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

pgermond
May 1st, 2005, 05:06 PM
It must be May [xx(] Could be you had some overflow out of one of the m/c that hit the hearders. Caps on tight? If the fluid is dark, it's probably time for a flush and new fluid.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Eric Miller
May 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM
I would say the dark fluid in your clutch master cyl. means that the fluid has boiled.I would flush it out and also check slave cyl. stroke ,you might have taken a seal out.

jhaynie
May 1st, 2005, 06:29 PM
Clutch it ok. Looks like its the rear brakes. Put it up on jacks and could barely turn the right rear tire. Its been three hours and it still stinks. I would say the emergency brake was the problem (it was engaged on click), but it really doesn't work enough for me to arrive at that conclusion. Must be the calipers.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

jhaynie
May 3rd, 2005, 12:58 PM
I have the caliper off that was stuck. Going to add the "speedbleeders" while its off. Also thought about replacing the rigid brakes lines with some flexible stainless ones or maybe just rubber if I can't find stainless. Anyone know the spec on the brake line fittings so I buy the right thing or is this just wasting money in the wrong place?

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

jhaynie
May 5th, 2005, 06:32 AM
I'll take this as a no on the flex lines.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

Brent
May 5th, 2005, 07:16 AM
A short piece of flex line to connect to a caliper or clutch is OK but do not run it a long distance or the expansion, even ever so slightly, will cause some pedal fade.

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

rdorman
May 5th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I am not sure why you would want to go to flex line but do keep to a minimum. The lines are usually standard -3 teflon line braided lines available from all the major manufacturers and then you adapt them to fit.
Rick

jhaynie
May 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM
This is for the rear brakes, I just thought it might look better and function better ever so slightly. I guess I wont bother. I just need to get this car back together and road test it before I leave next Friday.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected