PDA

View Full Version : ride height - setting?

JeepSnake
May 31st, 2005, 04:44 PM
Hello all -

Just picking up on the ride height comment that Rick made in the previous topic started by oldblu - I noticed Mom & Dad's car had a "slammed" look compared to quite a few others at Homecoming, as well as to photos of original cars. I've also suspected that it's hitting the bumpstops, and I know the rear tires bump the inner quarters occasionally.

Where does the ride height need to be set? I'm guessing that you'd want the static height to be somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of full suspension travel (starting with supsension totally extended), giving you a little more compressiblity, or at least being neutral. Does anyone have an idea of where that point lies? I know we can rig something up to test the limits of travel, but I thought someone might already have the info handy. Mom & Dad's car has the "standard" coilovers - what is the procedure for adjusting height with them?

Also, Dad mentioned rear wheel bearings in a reply to another thread. Anybody got an easier method of checking the endplay/preload than setting up with a dial indicator, etc.? More of a quick, rough, GO/NO-GO check? (FYI - ERA has a fairly decent writeup on their website on how to set Jag bearings.)

Thanks!

Zach Butterworth
Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
(Mom & Dad's 427)

WYT VNM
May 31st, 2005, 06:25 PM
:D:DHi Zack...ride height should be 1/4 inch above your local speed bumps. OK OK. Just make the tires "look right" in the fenders, then get it all aligned....again. No kidding, when you make a significant change in height, you should get aligned to get good tire wear, handling, and drivability, etc.

Suspension travel quantities may be an indication of "something should be somewhere" on Unique, but not necessarily. Someone else may know of what you ask. I know that the desired results are for the lower suspension "arms" to be parallel to horizontal. For most requirements anyway. For competition you may want a little more "sag" than that. Ole Joe Trout really knew the tricks on that. Anywhooo........

Tell Mr. Butterworth I'll vote for him...what is he campaigning for today??

Dan Fowler, better known in Kit Car as Don Flowers. *427SC *428MSG with goodies *Tremec *3:31 posi *Ford Performance White w/light stripes *Grey interior *completed 1999

eliminator
June 1st, 2005, 05:30 AM
Zach,

[8]That's a tought one.
In the rear you have to add a spacer plate 1/4" - 1/2" under the upper shock mount, 4 hole plate, to raise the car in the rear.
In the front I would remove one front shock to get the extended and collapsed height then go from there. You will probably need to be where you have 1/3 compression and 2/3 rebound. I have found that our cars can't be 50/50 because of the shock and the apperance (Correct Look) ride height.
Hope that helps, tire height, 427 vs FIA, shock package, sway bars, all effect these things.
Hope that helps:):).

Rick

JeepSnake
June 1st, 2005, 11:10 AM
Thanks Dan & Rick! I'm actually just pleased to know that I wasn't off-base thinking that the car was lower than what I thought it should be. I'll have to print out this thread and file away for when I get caught up with other car projects.

Speaking of - got word from the body shop about an hour ago that they're shooting the inner cowl, doorjambs, etc. on Mom's Chevelle this afternoon. So, after ~17 months of work, we finally might see light at the end of the tunnel on that project! Anybody know where I can get an air cleaner decal that says "Chromed-Up Candy-Ass Bowtie Motor?" :D:D

Zach Butterworth
Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
(Mom & Dad's 427)

juanone
June 1st, 2005, 11:55 AM
Hi Zach:

I can make one of the decals if you wish. The only cost would be the vinyl adhesive output. About$8.50. Let me know if you want one and also the size of the aircleaner's diameter and its shape.

Juan

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
Kentucky Cobra Club
2432 Crittenden Drive
Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
502-635-5711
juanlb@lbrllc.net

http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com

juanone
June 1st, 2005, 01:09 PM
Here you go Zach.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/juanone/bowtie-decal.jpg

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
Kentucky Cobra Club
2432 Crittenden Drive
Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
502-635-5711
juanlb@lbrllc.net

http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com

Slither
June 1st, 2005, 04:15 PM
Oh ya :D:D!

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

TAGCAVE
June 1st, 2005, 04:37 PM
LOVE THE DECAL:D:D

RODNEY

JeepSnake
June 2nd, 2005, 06:00 AM
Juan, that is hilarious!!! I'll have to get one before September, as Sandy & I will probably be tagging along behind the Unique caravan in the Chevelle if everything goes well. Well, unless Mom nabs the car from us and one of us gets to ride in the Cobra... (FYI - for those of you that don't know, the Chevelle in question was Mom's first car, bought new for her high school graduation present.)

Juan, when I finally get my air cleaner settled, I'll drop you a line with dimensions. I'm trying to get something with a semi-stock appearance (which would be approximately 14" OD), but I'm running into distributor clearance issues with the Mallory HEI setup I have. Right now, I've got a parts-store 10" OD cleaner on it to get it running.

Zach Butterworth
Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
(Mom & Dad's 427)

JeepSnake
June 9th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Hi guys!

Just a quick update - Mom & Dad's car DOES have the adjustable shocks. Dad had the front wheels off yesterday to have them balanced, and he did some adjusting on the ride height then. We'll see how it goes!

Thanks again!

Zach Butterworth
Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
(Mom & Dad's 427)

gasman
June 9th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Zach, FYI Alignment changes after adjusting ride height. Don't be surprised if you aren't happy.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389