PDA

View Full Version : No explanation necessary

juanone
July 14th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Just thought you guys might enjoy this photo sent to me by Rick Bagley.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/juanone/F-14.jpg

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
Kentucky Cobra Club
2432 Crittenden Drive
Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
502-635-5711
juanlb@lbrllc.net

http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com

JerryBP
July 14th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Makes you wonder why so many militaty pilots die in "Training Accidents".

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd
Coal Black no Stripes by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

eliminator
July 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM
I think it's cool.......these guy's are the best of the best;).
I was fortunate to be around some of the Marine F-18 Hornet guys at LaMoore in CA. Yes, they are a little Cocky but they take their skills very seriously and you feel good knowing they are on our side[^].

These are our Cobra owners of the Future:).

Rick

gasman
July 14th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Adobe Photoshop is a great program....;)

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

eliminator
July 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Sorry Gasman, but this is the real deal.......steak dinner??

Rick

will butterworth
July 14th, 2005, 01:10 PM
yep,this is wthe real deal, seen this picture several times from fellas in service, Brent you were saying the driver of the little car had a set of cahoonas in thee video, and these fellas are highstrung and cocky, I always wanted to jocky this bird, f-18, 16, 15, 14, pull throttle down and bendit over.Will-alabama

gasman
July 14th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Sure Rick, I'll take that bet.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

An airplane in a 90 degree bank, has no lift what so ever. At that altitude the pilot would need full after burners engaged, the sink rate would still be pretty high. If the after burners were engaged, this thing would look like a blast furnace going by. Another problem with the photo, the plane also is a little large for the surroundings. Not quite to scale. But is is a nice piece of work. ;)

nolastyankee
July 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM
I'm as skeptical as they come, but this one has some validity to it that only a pilot would truly understand... The detail of the picture suggests water on the lenscap of the camera, which would suggest high humidity and explain the pressure vortices just aft of the intakes. The angle of attack appears correct for this maneuver as does the scale of the pilots to the people on deck. If the pilot just rolled it up on edge for the photo the speed wouldn't need to be as great. I think I'm in the camp of "it's real".

Although if it's photoshop, it's a hell of a job. And remember, real isn't always better.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

clayfoushee
July 14th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I'm doubting the authenticity too. Not only would those bodies on deck be flat on the deck, the crew would have gotten much more than 30 days off. Court-martial and dishonorable discharge would have been more likely. If real and at that speed, that close to the deck, they endangered the entire ship.

Cool picture though!!!!:D

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
July 14th, 2005, 03:30 PM
The water vaporizing off the leading edge of the left wing canard, suggests a high-speed, high-G maneuver. It is close to the right scale.....if you look at the bodies standing on deck and the heads of crew. The F-14 Tomcat is a very large airplane.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

daveg
July 14th, 2005, 04:53 PM
My vote is fake. Urban Legends tends to make me disbelieve anything that looks too good and hasn't been in any newspaper. Perfectly framed plane - spectators that aren't afraid of their lives....

Here is another one that made the email, urban legend path....

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/daveg/shark.jpg

gasman
July 14th, 2005, 06:20 PM
We can settle this one pretty easily. My next door neighbor is in the reserves and returning from Annapolis tonight. He spent the last 13 years flying this very airplane off every carrier deck in the fleet and bombed most of Iraq in D.S. If he says the picture is real, I owe Rick a steak dinner and he would definately know.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

jhaynie
July 15th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Well they are obviously all taking a look at something! And what else would the camera man be taking a picture of at that angle? Of course I've been to a couple of Blue Angel shows and I can't imagine being able to get that clean of a shot of the plane going by from that close a proximity.

I'm on the fence (its safer here) :-).

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

clayfoushee
July 15th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Perhaps a fly-by at a proper distance (covered up by the Photoshop paste)?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

will butterworth
July 15th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Rick--I have met in executive session with my dog, Professor Vernon Von Studebaker, in service to the gobernment, and the conclusion is -if you look close behind the second helmet to the lower side of the canopy it is plainly written Chevrolet, body by fisher,the professor was incognito at the time puffing a havana stogy wearing a sombrero.Will-alabama

gasman
July 15th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Rick, Just got off the phone with my neighbor who immediately stated "Oh, this forgery is going around again? I've seen this picture a hundred times. The Tomcat isn't this large, the proportions are way off. The carrier deck is 60 feet off the water plus, even if it were real, the after burners would be visable beyond the photo borders." This is the quote from a Major still qualified to fly these birds and on his way to serve our country in the reserves this weekend. If anyone would know, it would be him.

I can almost taste that ribeye!

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

nolastyankee
July 15th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Looks like I'll be chipping in!

Brian Carlson

eliminator
July 18th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Not so fast my friend, I have asked my nephew for his opinion, he is a ex- F-18 guy who is a Captain with Jet Blue. Also he has a friend who was on this carrier at the time of the photo, F-14 pilot. So we will see.

Rick

will butterworth
July 18th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I shall withhold further comment at this point, as it will not be necessary for further executive sessions with the professor Vernon Von Studebaker , about this aeroplane.However, i smell steak, one way or the other, applehouse-pigeon forge .Will-alabama

Brent
July 18th, 2005, 08:49 AM
The best way to settle this is in the cars.

Blue 427 S/O
Red 427 S/O

Pigeon Forge, side by side, first one out of the tunnel eats for free.

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

eliminator
July 18th, 2005, 10:29 AM
:D:D:D:D
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Rick

clayfoushee
July 18th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Now we're talkin'. Who cares about the damned picture? And, if it's real, they didn't trash the Stennis anyway, so all's well:D

Maybe we could turn this into an episode of "Pinks."

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Naumoff
July 18th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Clay,

Red and Blue makes Purple.....not Pinks.:D

Tony;)

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

pgermond
July 18th, 2005, 05:53 PM
NOW this is getting interesting :D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
July 18th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Pinks, a new series on the Speed Channel. Lose the race, lose your car (pink slip);). (wasn't sure if they had Cable TV in rural Kentucky and rural Georgia yet).

Clay

Annapolis, MD

gasman
July 18th, 2005, 06:42 PM
We have cable in Georgia, How bout you Ricky, you got it up in the foot hills? I know how it pains you to lose, but don't you go weaseling out on the bet for a steak dinner. I want to hear from the person who took this picture in the first place.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

pgermond
July 18th, 2005, 06:57 PM
:D:D You guys remember Rodney King's famous words? :D:D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

gasman
July 18th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Yep, I do. Why can't we just all admit Gasman was right.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

clayfoushee
July 18th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Gasman, let the record show, I was the first to support your doubts about the picture's authenticity. Your neighbor (F-14 qualified) allegedly had doubts similar to mine and yours, and according to your account, had seen it making the internet rounds many times before. Neither you, nor Rick have posted anything other than second-hand accounts. Short of signed affadavits acceptable in a proper court-of-law, this dispute quite simply cannot be resolved.[:o)]

But, that's all irrelevant, we've moved on. I think the new challenge is much more fun!!!!:D

Clay

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
July 18th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Law? Did somebody say "law"? You guys have fun.......... I'm out of here :D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

nolastyankee
July 19th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Clay,
What makes you think that a courtroom and 'signed affidavits' have any association with the truth of the matter[?]

My vote is to decide this with the red car-blue car challenge you suggested earlier... I like 'ya Gasman, but I'll take the red car in this one simply because it has had more tweaking time out on the road. Not to mention that bug-free radiator. Weight savings you know! :)

Brian Carlson

gasman
July 19th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Brian, I like you too. Hey what do you guys think of my new motor that Bill had on the engine stand at homecoming?

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

eliminator
July 19th, 2005, 05:29 AM
This e-mail was received from Ex-Marine Major, "Mike (Nugget) Davidson", now a Jet Blue Captain and my nephew. I dont know Gasman's neighbor but there is obviously conflicting views. Nuggets co-pilot this week is an Ex Air Force F-117 Stealth Pilot and he concurs. Sorry Gasman, pay up or tune that Blue Car up for "The Run".[:P]

"The dude that I was flying with this weekend has pertinent knowledge of this very incident – apparently this pic has been around the internet for a while…he said that’s a no-**** real picture and the guy was only grounded for a week, not 30 days…this kind of stuff is common during “blue water ops” – this happened out at sea on the Stennis off the coast of Japan…that airplane is producing plenty of lift, but the lift vector is just not up – in a 90 degree bank, it is parallel to the ground or in this case the ship/water…my guess is that he’s hauling ass and has plenty of energy to pull this off – otherwise it’s be in the news…I also imagine he rolled wings level shortly after this photo was taken and converted the energy associated with his speed into energy associated with more altitude – e.g. he climbed as opposed to crashing…oohrah, Nugget"

Good description of the incident by a pilot.
Nuff said:)

Rick

eliminator
July 19th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Clay,

You should have waited before making that statment...:D
You and brother be in the same boat.

Rick

gasman
July 19th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Rick my friend, I believe this steak dinner bet is about the authenticiy of a photograph, not a race. Please relay to "Nuggets" that I am multi-engine, instrument rated pilot. There is "no lift vector" in a 90 degree bank, but there is plenty of centifical force. The neighbor that examined the same photograph we have all seen is a Tomcat pilot. Your Ex-Air Force buddy flew an entirely different aircraft, in all liklihood has never flown the Tomcat, and certainly never flown off a carrier deck.

As far as pictures go, it is indeed an inspiring conversation piece but I'll never believe it to be real. If you want it to be..thats fine.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

eliminator
July 19th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Steve, you need to learn to read, Nugget was with F-18's and I beleive they are a carrier jet, would you not agree. His Co-pilot was with the USAF and also a fighter pilot. So take your multi-engine rating and shove it!
Better go buy you an engine for that Blue Car, then take some driving lessons.

Rick

gasman
July 19th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Lets not go negative there good buddy, to the best of my knowledge I believe the carrier decks are reserved for the Navy jocks.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

gotta go, to much to do!

clayfoushee
July 19th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Guys, this was supposed to be funny, not personal.....hence the car grudge match as a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brian, my reference to signed affadavits were purely in jest.

Rick, one observation.......Nugget, as a former Marine F-18 pilot might have knowledge of it, but he didn't claim any direct knowledge in the e-mail you posted above. If I understand it correctly, he said the person claiming it's authenticity was his A-320 co-pilot he happened to be flying with this week, who said he was an USAF F-117 (Stealth Fighter)pilot.

I worked with a lot of these guys over the years. Urban legends are as common among military pilots as they are with the general public. I would imagine only someone aboard the USS Stennis at the time could really confirm it.

www.snopes.com which is a good source for whether interent legends are myth or true has nothing on the incident.

In any event, you both have produced second or third hand accounts from ex-military pilots and one says yes, the other says no. That makes it a draw.....LOL.

For me, it's the claim that the guy got only 30 days or 1 week off that makes it really unbelievable. I've been in aviation safety since 1979, and ran flight ops for the 4th largest airline in the world during the 90's. I've worked extensively in both military and civilian flight safety and participated in many accident investigations. And, I gotta tell you the skipper of the Stennis would have or should have had him in the brig.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Brent
July 19th, 2005, 07:38 AM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Brent/xladv.jpg
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

nolastyankee
July 19th, 2005, 08:14 AM
This thread is as good as the Road America crash debates over on CC!

Brian Carlson

juanone
July 19th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Okay boys, as they say in the Navy, simmer down. If I had known that me posting the image from the carrier was going to cause such a negative stir I would never had done it. My main intention was to share an image I thought interesting and thought provoking, but not controversy.

Let us leave things as they are, in the past. Frankly I was a flight engineer in the Navy for 9 years and three of those years were spent on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific and I have to tell you we had instances of A-4s, A-7s and even F4s that made similar passes off the carrier and I can believe that the image portrayed can be a possibility.

On thing that I did however was to study the image deep pixel make-up and I have to tell you that the pixel pattern of the image is consistent throughout . If it is a hoax someone went through an incredible amount of trouble to fool somebody like me, and photo manipulation is what I do for a living.

Oh well it is a nice image for us to share. Please enjoy each others contributions and don't forget the purpose of this forum.

Juan

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
Kentucky Cobra Club
2432 Crittenden Drive
Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
502-635-5711
juanlb@lbrllc.net

http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com

jhaynie
July 19th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Like I said earlier, I'm staying on the fence. Anyone want to join me???:D:D

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

clayfoushee
July 19th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Good observations Juan. But, why can't a discussion be a spirited discussion of views without people veiwing it as a fight? I have never understood that. A lot of good points have been raised by many here, and that's why it's fun.

Various people with legitimate aviation credentials have weighed in, and, of course, all of those views must be respected. Yet, as I've said, there still some doubt.

It really doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong. It's the discussion that is fun (at least to me). Since the two who made the bet, seemed to be getting irritated with each other, that's why several tried to turn it into a friendly (AND FUNNY) car challenge.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

brfutbrian
July 19th, 2005, 09:24 AM
(originally posted by clay)
For me, it's the claim that the guy got only 30 days or 1 week off that makes it really unbelievable. I've been in aviation safety since 1979, and ran flight ops for the 4th largest airline in the world during the 90's. I've worked extensively in both military and civilian flight safety and participated in many accident investigations. And, I gotta tell you the skipper of the Stennis would have or should have had him in the brig.

Clay

Annapolis, MD
[/quote]

thats exactly what makes me think its a fake. i would think that would be a career ending moment. later, brian.

Brent
July 19th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Neat site about the ship:

http://www.cvn74.navy.mil/

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

JerryBP
July 19th, 2005, 11:15 AM
"i would think that would be a career ending moment. later, brian."

There have been a lot of other crazy things done that were only laughed at.

I have a friend that used to fly a U2 then the SR71 and you wouldn't believe the things what he got away with.

(by the way, make the race to the top of the mountain and I might enter my new silver toy & give those big motors something to chase)

clayfoushee
July 19th, 2005, 11:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by JerryBP

"i would think that would be a career ending moment. later, brian."

There have been a lot of other crazy things done that were only laughed at.

I have a friend that used to fly a U2 then the SR71 and you wouldn't believe the things what he got away with.

(by the way, make the race to the top of the mountain and I might enter my new silver toy & give those big motors something to chase)

Oh yeah Jerry, this kind of stuff happens all the time......a lot of testosterone, and a $100 million or so airplane at your disposal. I had a pile of military accident reports dumped on my desk at FAA, and some of them would both send chills up your spine, and might even PO you a bit since you paid for those airplanes. But generally, these stunts don't generally don't happen with one's CO in the observation tower as an eyewitness.:D

Clay

Annapolis, MD

nolastyankee
July 19th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Juan,
For the record, I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and am glad you started it. Perhaps it's the competitor in me, but I'm all for a good argument. A vigorously defended point is a beautiful thing, so long as we're all friends when it's over.

Brian Carlson

gasman
July 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Clay, Please don't add fuel to this fire. I am not upset with anyone and I haven't been all along. If Rick is angry that I disagree with the validity of this as a real photograph, he will surely get over it in time. The car challange is likely to explode into something even uglier than the debate on the picture. If I'm going to race anyone, it will not be in a Cobra, that is for sure. Now, If you guys want to meet at Lowes Notor Speedway and sign up for a Richard Petty driving experience. We can see who has the fastest lap time. The last time I did this there were 37 drivers. Hope I don't come accross as bragging, but I'm proud to say I had the fastest lap time of the 37. I also had the fastest track and lap time at the BMW driving school. So, I'm not a complete novice.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

gasman
July 19th, 2005, 01:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Brent

Neat site about the ship:

http://www.cvn74.navy.mil/

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Brent, That picture is a fake, I've never seen a flag that big! :D

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

clayfoushee
July 19th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Huh?..........we're having a fun discussion. Are you the new Moderator?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
July 19th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Mach 2 to 180 MPH, WOW![8D]

Rick

Russ Dickey
July 19th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Time for a new Photoshop debate.

Let's hear from all the experts in THIS field...

http://www.meefed.com/2004/Huge_Tits1.jpg

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

gasman
July 19th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I would say she is on the radio, the headphones and microphone gave it away. So what is your point?

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

GeorgiaSnake
July 19th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Any "vector lift" involved in the last picture? It's got to be TV why waste them on the radio - possibly Stern's high quality program.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA #2899420
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

gasman
July 19th, 2005, 04:32 PM
I would love to play motorboat with her.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

gasman
July 19th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Rick, Can't take credit for this, pulled it off another website but I can warn you to stay away from this bad dog!
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/gasman/eaglemutt.jpg

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

nolastyankee
July 19th, 2005, 05:11 PM
It is true for Cobras and the picture above...Real isn't always better.

Brian Carlson

Justin Upchurch
July 19th, 2005, 06:58 PM
As per Gasman's post, maybe it would be fun to go to one of the Richard Petty schools on the Thursday before homecomming next year. And, just to make it interesting we should each pich in to a best lap time take all pot, say $50 a driver.

Justin

clayfoushee
July 19th, 2005, 07:40 PM
LOL Gasman.........I like this one better. You can tell from the the blending of the pixels this must be real.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/clayfoushee/Muttkey.jpg

Clay

Annapolis, MD

gasman
July 19th, 2005, 07:40 PM
My neighbor the Navy pilot and flys the Tomcat was over for dinner tonight. We were talking about this picture fiasco and the flap it has caused. He gave me additional information that may explain the it is/it isn't debate. The picture is real but the airplane was no where close to the ship as depicted in this picture. The zoom feature has been used to make the airplane and its position relative to the carrier deck much closer than it actually was. The actual position of the airplane relative to the ship deck was probably a mile away. This would also explain the relaxed behavior of the by standers on the carrier deck. One taking a casual photograph, another with his hands in a resting position behind his back. These people would be flat on the deck screaming for their lives from the excruciating ear pain caused by the jet blast if the jets position to these people were as depicted. So to put this to rest, it is a real picture, that has been altered for effect. Rick, lets go have a steak dutch treat, and I'll buy you a beer or five. :D

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

gasman
July 19th, 2005, 07:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by clayfoushee

LOL Gasman.........I like this one better. You can tell from the the blending of the pixels this must be real.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/clayfoushee/Muttkey.jpg

Clay

Annapolis, MD

It was a tough choice, that is a good one too. :)

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

brfutbrian
July 19th, 2005, 07:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by JU

As per Gasman's post, maybe it would be fun to go to one of the Richard Petty schools on the Thursday before homecomming next year. And, just to make it interesting we should each pich in to a best lap time take all pot, say $50 a driver.

Justin

justin, though it would be a ton of fun, it wouldnt really be any kind of contest. youre limited by how fast the instructor that you follow wants to let you go. i did the RPDE in disneyworld in april and left alot on the table( like lifting 150 ft before the lift cone) only because the instuctor will only let you go so fast. it was still fun though. later, brian.

clayfoushee
July 19th, 2005, 08:46 PM
OK, forget all this NASCAR wannabe stuff for a minute, and who has the fastest lap time. Where are the experts on Dogpanzees and Raptor Retrievers?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
July 19th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Okay, if the "law" is out of the discussion - we have a ton of things (better known as "Jackalope's") in the California and Nevada waste lands -

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/jackalope.jpg

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

gasman
July 20th, 2005, 03:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by clayfoushee

OK, forget all this NASCAR wannabe stuff for a minute, and who has the fastest lap time. Where are the experts on Dogpanzees and Raptor Retrievers?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

I say they are real.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

jhaynie
July 20th, 2005, 05:30 AM
I had to put these up as my contribution:

:D[}:)]:D:D

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/jhaynie/crossbreed.jpg

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/jhaynie/squirrel.jpg

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

gasman
July 20th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Ah, Haynie ROTFLMAO! And all this time I thought man evolved from apes.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

will butterworth
July 20th, 2005, 08:59 AM
And don,t forget hogs building nests in trees, and hogeggs. You guys are something. May need another episode of humor from professor stude somewhere here. Now let me see.Will-alabama

ralphscott
July 20th, 2005, 04:11 PM
The Dog is amazing! The squirrel, what can I say he's got 'nads

Ralph

twanita
July 20th, 2005, 05:31 PM
jhaynie, is that what they mean when they say "all men are dogs"

Jim O.
Unique 427 S/C #4279479
SA 402FE,Toploader,
3.53 Posi

will butterworth
July 21st, 2005, 07:11 AM
Ralph--dern squrril is a little heavy. Will-alabama

ralphscott
July 21st, 2005, 09:10 AM
Will, perhaps that explains why I have so many at my house!![:O]

Ralph

will butterworth
July 21st, 2005, 01:00 PM
Ralph, by gosh that,s it.Prolific tree-rats for sure.Will-alabama

eliminator
June 4th, 2010, 11:15 AM
All you new guy's don't remember this, 2005 era.
But Juan posted the picture of the F-14 I sent him and it was dismissed by the "so called experts" as photoshop work. Big debate on this.
I was just reading an article in Air & Space Magazine (Smithsonian) about "The Real Top Gun", Naval Aviator Dale Snodgrass, AKA Snort

" AS the F-14 Tomcat rounded the fantail on the Aircraft Carrier's port side, Dale Snodgrass whipped into a 85 degree banked turn. With the rightwingtip below the flight deck, the jet sliced past the spectators, rolled wings level and pulled up into the vertical S of a double Immelman, the shot back down into a high-G aerobatic performance that flung mist off the wings like fur in a catfight."

1988 Dependents Day Cruise for the families of the USS America personnel,

"as he did with all demos at sea, he made that first pass and his impossible tight turns right alongside the boat, a spitball's distance from the flight deck"

A third class petty officer caught the first pass in a snapshot, "creating perhaps the best known airshow photo in history"

All I can say is go suck on that Gasman......As usual the Eliminator prevails. Just tiding up the archives.
Hats off to the "Snort" hell of a piece of flying.:BEER:

TurnpikeBoy
June 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Truly amazing.

The event, the photo....and the perseverance.

"As usual the Eliminator prevails. Just tiding up the archives"

Well, thanks. It was needed.

spd4me
June 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Finally there's something interesting to read on this forum. I was playing golf one weekend in Eufaula, AL when an F-18 flew over the course on it's way to a practice bomb run on the dam and right when he got over the top of us (close enought to see his face in the helment) he did a 85% twist while flying in a straight line. I have no doubt about the photo. But that dog scares me.
Bob

brfutbrian
June 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM
All I can say is go suck on that Gasman......As usual the Eliminator prevails.

i laughed for 5 minutes when i read that. i can picture rick saying that in my mind.

Slither
June 4th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I remember reading this description of the photo back when Juan first posted it... it was out somewhere on the web back then. But being on the web, I was not sure that it was a legit explanation.

Glad the doubt has funally been Eliminated[thumb]!

chris knueven
June 9th, 2010, 12:24 PM
If you want to see a crazy bastard...Dale Snodgrass fits the bill.
He has a thing for low passes...

Check out 1.30ish in the video. Listen to the commentator...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn-zGl81BTI

Just a low F86 pass..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofGkV2p505g

At the 50 second mark..."Snort,do you wanna get that wingtip off the ramp?":D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJpT6nDGPJ0

There are tons of videos. You can guess he has been asked a few
times to go just a bit higher...

Chris