PDA

View Full Version : Timing pointer on a small block

bstandley1
August 28th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Do any of you folks happen to have a picture of a mounted timing pointer on a small block? I misunderstood what the dyno tech told me the other day ... " you don't have a timing marker "; thought he said timing marks[:I] Thanks!

Bob

dmiller
August 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
from my 351 Whttp://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/dmiller/INTAKE~1-email.jpg

bstandley1
August 28th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks Doug!

Bob

eliminator
August 29th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Same for a 302, identical.

Rick

Jim Harding
August 29th, 2005, 08:05 AM
If your water pump has a left side inlet (like in the above pic) your timing marker may be hidden by it. Makes it almost impossible to see it to set the timing..... and that assumes that the harmonic balancer is correct for a drivers side timing marker.
If your balancer is marked for a passenger side timing marker, you can get a bolt on marker from Ford motorsports. If your balancer is marked for a drivers side timing marker, you can still add a marker to the passenger side and read the timing marks on the balancer using cylinder two instead of the normal cylinder one.
Don't ask me how I know:D

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

bstandley1
August 29th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Just a quick update ... Found a cheap aluminum pointer, installed it on the passenger side of the timing cover then tried to check the timing. Unfortunately, the marks were too faint to read with my thirty year old Sears timing light. Grabbed a roll of white adhesive tape, scribed about twenty degrees of timing marks and stuck it on the balancer. Fired up the car, brought rpms up to 3200 ... and I could see the homemade timing marks:D. It appears that the total advance was approximately 26-27 degrees (owners manual specifies 32-34 degrees). Any thoughts as to whether this would have contributed to the high speed miss I was experiencing on the dyno?

After this experience, I'm going to invest in a roll of timing tape!! Thanks for your help

Bob