PDA

View Full Version : Richard Petty Driving Experience

Rickd
September 4th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Had a surprise this weekend. Went to Indianapolis for my neice's wedding, which was Saturday evening (a very nice wedding). Thought I would take advantage of being in Indy to visit the Speedway and museum. Walked in the door and the greeter asked "are you here for the museum or the Richard Petty Driving Experience", so naturally I said "uh, yeah, the Petty Experience".

I inquired a little bit more and, although there were no drivers program slots open, they had a 'ride along' package, that was $120 for 3 laps around the Speedway in the passenger seat of a Nascar racer driven by an instructor. I had a lady instructor, and Jennifer could drive!! We hit 165 MPH and passed several cars 'down under'.

The initial thrill was leaving the pit area, she put the pedal to the metal and we flew out onto the track and went full power through the first turn pulling some G's. Up along the wall down the straight and into the turns a lot faster than I imagined a car could go through a turn. Man those cars feel like they're glued to the track.

Obviously we weren't even approaching the design speed capability of the cars, but they were going fast enough to pin you back during acceleration, and it was cool having the helmet with the head restraint system, etc., and of course, climbing in and out of the window.

A fun little twist to my ride happened apparently due to a miscount in the riders getting set to go. I was in the next group to ride, and then they realized they were short one rider for the next pit stop and rider change, everyone was in cars, and they needed another rider for the first car that was to leave. So it was "hey man we need you to get suited up fast", and it was like a pit stop, "suit on, restraint harness on, helmet on, restraint system connected to helmet and tightened, GO, Go, through the window, strapped in, ignition, and accelerate". We quickly caught a group of drivers, who were doing the 'driving' program, and they aren't permitted to go as fast as the instructors or to pass. And we passed them down below, it was a rush!! That stuff could easily get addictive!!

Rick D.

289 FIA, #9299, Viking Blue, 302 HO, T-5

COBRAGAR
September 4th, 2005, 04:41 PM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet !!!! good for you rick.

wlewis
September 6th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I drove a Petty car at Charlotte and a Baker one in Atlanta. Either is a must for any speed freak! I'd sure like to take my Unique Cobra around for a few laps!
Walter