PDA

View Full Version : Clutch question

Justin Upchurch
October 19th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I am ordering my trans this week and I would like to know if I should go with the hydraulic slave cylinder or the hydraulic throw-out bearing?

Justin

Naumoff
October 19th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Justin,

I am running a Hydraulic throw out bearing. I like it and it has less moving parts.
Let me know if you go this route I have a simple way to make a peddle stop, which is required for this set up.

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

pgermond
October 19th, 2005, 06:16 PM
That is a question that will get you some controversial response. I have the slave, which I prefer. Hydraulic fluid around the clutch plate can be bad news [xx(] However, as I said.... you have most likely opened a can of worms with the question.. we will see ;)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

RJacobsen
October 19th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Justin- I'm going to use a HTB on my car, but only because it came as part of the deal I made on the car. I've heard more bad than good, but I think that the guys having trouble have set it up incorrectly or used the wrong fluid or not used a pedal stop, any of the above can lead to failure.

Tony- I'd like to see your pedal stop design.

Rod
Roseville, Ca.
289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Naumoff
October 20th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Rod,
Here is a picture of my pedal stop.
I found this to be easy as all I had to do is get a 4.5" 5/16 grade 8 bolt and replace the bottom one on the master cylinder with it.
I had to add some threads so I could have some adjustment.
I would of prefered a 5" bolt for more adjustment but this one works fine.
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Naumoff/Clutch pedal stop 002.jpg

TurnpikeBoy
October 20th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Y'know, I'm with Phil.

I use a Wilwood slave on my 302; I mount it directly against the bellhousing (Ford alum.) and find that they tend to wear and leak after about 2500 miles. Abysmal? - yeah, I suppose so. I have plans to chuck one of these into my lathe and put a bronze sleeve in so that it will go 30,000 miles next time I install it.

But. When it craps out it is a 15 minute task to replace it; it has no more moving parts than the throwout bearing; it is mounted externally; it will not oil down the bellhousing inside; replacements are $55 and available at about any speed shop; no stop is required on the clutch pedal; and so on.

I am willing to bet there are guys in here that have NEVER replaced the throwout bearing, mounted inside the bellhousing. But do it once, over a few (or several) nice July afternoons, and you will think twice about how good it would be to have this thing mounted outside and readily accessible.

Yeehah

Justin Upchurch
October 20th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info. How much does each setup cost?

Naumoff
October 20th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I have to check my reciepts but I think it was $350.00 plus shipping and the bolt and $10.00 including shipping for the adapter for AV to break line adapter.
Its about a 3 hour job if you need to pull the tranny and reinstall.
Slave Cylinder set up with clutch fork and throw out bearing was more when I priced them out.

Tony

Justin Upchurch
October 20th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Tony,
What kind of measuring did you have to do to make sure you got the right bearing sleve?

Justin

RJacobsen
October 20th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Tony- I like your pedal stop, great idea and simple too. I might have an improvement for it- If you used a short bolt with a coupling nut on the inside you could then screw another bolt into the coupling nut and use a jam nut to secure it. Adjustments could then be done from inside the car.

Rod
Roseville, Ca.

clayfoushee
October 20th, 2005, 08:19 PM
It depends upon how skilled a mechanic you are. My good friend Tony, can drop a trannie as if it's changing a tire. For someone like me the external slave is a little more friendly.,

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

RJacobsen
October 20th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Justin- check out this site for slave cylinder setups http://www.autoworks.cc/index.html They have some custom brakets for older mustang conversions that might work for you.

Rod
Roseville, Ca.

Naumoff
October 21st, 2005, 02:38 AM
Justin,

Brent has a thread with good pics. With clutch assembled and bell housing on take a straight edge across the opening for the tranny and with a set of micrometers measure down to the pressure plate fingures, which the T.O. bearing presses against to disengage the clutch. If you are running a tranny that requires an adapter you have to measure with the adapter on the bell housing.
You can also call Mcleod and talk to the Tech.

Rod, Great ideal. To fine tune the pedal stop it would be great.
One trip into the footbox and then your done.

Clay, you have the lift, all you need is a tranny jack and you wouldn't even have strain your back.

Naumoff
October 21st, 2005, 02:45 AM
Justin,
Here is the link to Brents thread. Very good info.
The McLeod was 387.50 + shipping
Phone # 714-630-2764
http://www.uniquecobra.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1327&SearchTerms=Hydraulic,throw,out,bearing

Tony

Justin Upchurch
October 21st, 2005, 06:34 AM
Also,
I just found out they are almost finished with a track about 20 min. from my house. The track is a 2.4 mile road course and will be a private member track. I will most likely join after my car is complete and the financial bleeding from the Cobra is finished. So the car will see at least one track day per month. Does running a car on a track make a difference in the setup I use?
Brent or Rick would either of you mind chimming in to let me know why you went with the Hydraulic TOB vs. the slave?

Justin

Brent
October 21st, 2005, 10:54 AM
Neat, clean, simple, and self adjusting.

If you are goign to run the car hard every 4 weeks it may or may not matter to you as you will probably be working on it more than the normal Cobra owner. Adjustments and replacing parts will be part of your normal routine.

Brent

Justin Upchurch
October 21st, 2005, 12:45 PM
Brent,
Have you had any problems with your TOB leaking? I keep hearing people talk about this, but it seems that most didn't bother to put a pedal stop on the clutch until it was too late.

Justin

RJacobsen
October 21st, 2005, 08:03 PM
Justin- From what I understand if the set up is properly done you shoudn't have any trouble. The pedal stop is critical because if the HTOB is pushed to its maximum extention the seals can then be damaged by to much pressure. Follow the manufacturers instructions and you should be fine.

Rod
Roseville, Ca.

eliminator
October 24th, 2005, 06:25 AM
That's easy...HYD. Throwout Bearing.

I will not build a car without one....
The inital set up must be precise but after that just drive the car and forget about it.

I hear alot more comments and questions about the slave cylinders than the HTOB. At EVERY Homecoming there are issues with slave cylinders and none with HTOB, so go figure.

I don't ever remember hearing a car with a HTOB grinding as you attempt to put into reverse!!![:O]

My thoughts.

Rick

Justin Upchurch
October 24th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice. My engine builder is ordering the trans this week, and it looks like we will go with the HYD throwout bearing.