PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Software

pbrown
November 8th, 2005, 11:19 PM
I purchased the new software this evening. I'm waiting for my account info so I can download and install. The hard part will be to migrate the user accounts and topics from this software to the new stuff. I'll keep you posted as to how it's going. Don't expect it to be real soon but it will happen.

The downside for you is that your password will not migrate. Passwords are stored in the two databases differently. You'll need to go through a password change when we switch over.

--Patrick

pbrown
November 9th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Okay, I stayed up late and installed the new software. If the DNS changes work, you'll be able to see the site at http://test.uniquecobra.com. There is no data here and I'm still getting it configured. There are a ton of features that need to be sorted out. Check it out. Feel free to register and play if you like. All data will be wiped clean prior to the data migration.

--Patrick

juanone
November 9th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Hi Patrick:

Looking good so far. Are there going to be photo galleries in the new forum?

Juan

clayfoushee
November 9th, 2005, 06:35 AM
http://test.uniquecobra.com

Try the link above. The period at the end of the sentence was keeping it from opening above. Looks good, Patrick, and very similar to stuff that seems to work well on other forums.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

nolastyankee
November 9th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Very Nice!

Thanks for all of your work Patrick! I for one know this forum has been indis-Spence-able to our build. (Sorry, that was horrible)

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

pbrown
November 9th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Juan,

There will be a very nice photo gallery. I haven't installed it yet.

--Patrick

pbrown
November 9th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I made more progess today. The portal package is in place. Data migration and the gallery is next.

--Patrick

juanone
November 9th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Hi Patrick:

The new forum is looking good. If there is anything I can do to help don't hesitate to call on me.

Juan

ralphscott
November 9th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Patrick, Looks good vBulletin 3.5.1 we'll check it out we need to update our forum at work. I'll let you know if we buy it. Jannean will do the installation like she did last time.

Ralph

RJacobsen
November 9th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Patrick, Just want to say that I really appreciate your hard work on this. I'm sure that the time you have to put in on this is huge, so thanks again.

Rod
Roseville, Ca.
289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

pbrown
November 13th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I just got the email function working so the registration process will work properly. Several of you had tried to register. I have deleted all the pending registrations so you can try again if you like. I'm still working on the data migration. More to come.

--Patrick

pgermond
November 13th, 2005, 05:40 PM
This is a good time/reason to make a contribution to the '06 Fundraiser if you haven't already done so (this stuff isn't free, and a small contribution is a lot less expensive than LD calls). http://www.uniquecobra.com/contribute.asp

Thanks Patrick!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pbrown
November 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I installed the new gallery last night. It seems that one of you wasted no time in posting some photos. It is well integrated to the forum software even though it came from a different company. Check it out. I'm hoping to have a random photo on the front page. Check it out. Don't get too crazy with the uploads yet. I will be deleting everything before I do the data migration.

--Patrick

RJacobsen
November 14th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Patrick, Will the photos that have been uploaded with the old software be part of the data migration?

Rod
Roseville, Ca.
289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

pbrown
November 14th, 2005, 08:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by RJacobsen

Patrick, Will the photos that have been uploaded with the old software be part of the data migration?

That is supposed to be a feature of the new software. All forums, posts, attachments, and users will be migrated.

The downside is that the user passwords will not migrate. The systems use two different encryption schemes. Everyone will have to go through the lost password procedure to reset the passwords.

--Patrick

clayfoushee
November 14th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Patrick,

That's a very small price to pay. I'm happy you're making such good progress in this. It will be a major improvement!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

souzape
November 16th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Patrick- I have tried to re-register several times and am not getting verification on your data string to prove that I am not an automated service...what gives??

Phil Souza

pbrown
November 16th, 2005, 06:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by souzape

Patrick- I have tried to re-register several times and am not getting verification on your data string to prove that I am not an automated service...what gives??

Perhaps you are an automated service?! Just kidding, try again until you find a string that you can read. It's not perfect so some of the letters are hard to read. The good news is that your account will be migrated anyway so you won't have to go through that.

--Patrick

Naumoff
November 18th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Patrick,
The new forum sucks![}:)]
I hate it and your doing a bad job!:D

Just Kidding!;)

Thought I would give you a hard time just to keep you on your toes![:P]

Tony
Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

clayfoushee
November 20th, 2005, 02:46 PM
It's looking good Patrick! How do you load custom avatars?

I suspect many other people will find their PM boxes full, and will have to empty old messages before they can send or receive them. The old software seemed to allow an unlimited number. The limit here is 50.

In addition, everyone will have to make sure they have the "receive emails" option enabled in the UserCP panel.

pbrown
November 20th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Users will also need to make sure that their anti-spam software is allowing email from pbrown@uniquecobra.com.