PDA

View Full Version : wiring questions

twanita
November 9th, 2005, 05:43 PM
after reviewing the archives and the unique cd i have a few questions before i start drilling the (6) 1-1/8" holes. i am mounting solenoid on frame near starter, msd on the right, fuse box on left, and using the vr mounted to the alternator. i found neat pictures from eliminater on some front wiring but can not find any photos of rear wiring. also, i see mention of "under the engine" wiring to keep things cleaner. what's that about? any photos? thanks, jim o.

Jim O.
Unique 427 S/C #4279479
SA 402FE,Toploader,
3.53 Posi

ralphscott
November 9th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Basically for the under the engine wiring I made some Al tabs and bolted them to the engine oil pan flange and used zip ties to hold the wires in place. I run all the engine wires down the left side driver side, on top of the engine oil pan flange. Then run the wires up through opening between the water pump and the engine. That way you have no wires running on top of the engine, coil wires thermostat wires, oil pressure wires, all hidden away except where they surface at the front of the engine. Keeps the fire wall nice and clean as well. The originals really look sloppy with all the stuff on the firewall. The tabs are about 1.5 " X 0.5" with a hole drilled for the zip tie and a hole to attach it to the oil pan bolts. 90 degree bend. you'll figure it out

Ralph

twanita
November 9th, 2005, 07:42 PM
i've got you. so i could eliminate the center firewall hole? and bring all of those wires out the hole on pass side top of trans tunnel along with the rear harness?

Jim O.
Unique 427 S/C #4279479
SA 402FE,Toploader,
3.53 Posi

ralphscott
November 10th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Jim It's been 5 years and Lil Cobra is comletely covered and surrounded by furniture as we have moved all the furniture off of ground level to the garage. Best as I recall that is what I did I have no hole in the center of my firewall for wires. Got one to the fenderside of the steering column tucked up as high and as close as I could to hide the harness to the front lights fans directionals. Sorry no pictures on file.

Ralph

eliminator
November 10th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Two holes for the wiring to leave the cockpit, both right up tight near the cowl brace, passenger side of the transmission tunnel. One for the rear of the car wiring harness, the other for the engine wiring harness. No ugly hole in the firewall. Rear harness enters the car near the inside roll bar mount in the trunk area. Then split it and go down both sides to the rear tail lights. Specific wires will stay on passenger and drivers side. Elect. fuel pump, (D), fuel sending unit (P), License plate light, (L). I used the rubber and aluminum clamps, different sizes for each size harness.

Rick

ralphscott
November 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks for chiming in Rick couldn't remember and can't get to the car!!

Ralph

twanita
November 21st, 2005, 07:45 PM
rick, i liked the way your wiring mods looked but have one question. i drilled (2) 1 1/8 holes up as tight as i could get to the cowl brace on the trans tunnel but now i'm worried about the harnesses showing in the interior. did you run the carpet over the harnesses in that area? thx, jim o.

Naumoff
November 22nd, 2005, 03:28 AM
Jim,
you won't see them.

Tony

eliminator
November 22nd, 2005, 05:51 AM
No, the carpet terminates right at the area where the harness goes through,
you wont be able to see this from the cockpit when the car is on the ground.

twanita
November 22nd, 2005, 08:39 PM
whew. its coming out well.