PDA

View Full Version : Radiator placement

Sn8kbyte
November 11th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Hi gang,

I have been lurking on these site for quite a while and I have a question for you guys.

Has anybody tried to tilt the radiator back on a unique? I'm going to build another cobra soon and I have the kits narrowed down. With one of them being a Unique. But I don't really like the straight up radiator. I figure the bracket can be cut and rewelded at the proper angle.

Your alls input would be greatly appreciated.

BTW if it can't be done or would be to hard to redesign does not mean I would be with drawing Uniques from my short list.

Thanks

Gregg H

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."

clayfoushee
November 11th, 2005, 01:31 PM
You'd also have to figure out what to do with the front sway bar. It's an integral part of their front suspension design.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Sn8kbyte
November 11th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks Clay,

No I don't want to get creative or reinvent the wheel. The question was really thinking out loud.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."

767Jockey
November 11th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Gregg,
I posed this exact question to Alan this past month. Like you, I have a strong preference for the way the ERA looks with the slanted back radiator and all the finishing aluminum trim in the cowl inlet area. Alan looked into the question in depth and reported back that there really is no way to slant the radiator back in a Unique. Like you I was disappointed to hear this. Also like you, it's not a big enough deal to make me strike the Unique off my short list of candidates. Hope this answers your question. Good luck.
Doug

Naumoff
November 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Gregg,
I was thinking the same thing when I first bought my kit.
But I have to say I like the extra room in front of the engine.
I think it cools better with the radiator positioned like that.
and if you want it to be less noticable paint the front of the radiator flat black. That is what I did.
Fan bracket and motors too.
I left the fans natural.

Tony
Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRShttp://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Naumoff/COBRA 008edit.JPGhttp://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Naumoff/COBRA 007edit.JPG

Sn8kbyte
November 12th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Thank you all.

I drove Kelly's Orange cobra today and looked at the way the radiator sets in the car and you really don't notice the radiator placement that much, especially when have the twin fans. So this is a not a big deal

Kelly's Uniques drove really, really well. The steering was tight and it really hugged the road. I just wish he had seat tracks or I was three inches taller.;)

I have driven all the cobras on my short list so Now I need to make my plus/ minus list.

So Doug what did you decide on?

Gregg H

nolastyankee
November 14th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Guys,
I was thinking of laying back the radiator on the Spence car, and there is actually a way to do it. After all of the engineering I didn't think the visual change was worth all the work, and I wasn't convinced we'd get the cooling needed. However, the change is possible.

The front sway bar would need to be relocated slightly farther forward, then the radiator would go [u]behind</u> the sway bar. (This is one advantage of the change, eliminates the fan clearance issue) This location would place the top of the radiator about 1.5" behind the front hood opening and very close to the placement on original cars. The bottom bracket would only need slight modification for support for the angle.

Probably the biggest reason I didn't pursue this change is that the radiator would need to be 22"x22" in order to fit between the angled frame members and to get the height needed. There is no radiator made in this configuration, and a custom piece will run about $700. In addition, the front fenders would need to be reworked slightly and a lot of custom aluminum work would have to take place in order to not have the air just blow right into the wheel wells.

I actually mocked up a cardboard radiator and placed it in the car to see if it would work, I'll post some pictures tonight.

If someone wanted to go this route from the get-go, a little engineering on the front of the frame could make it a much easier proposition.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

nolastyankee
November 14th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Guys,
I trashed my pictures of the cardboard mockup radiator I made, but I had a stock 18.5 x 24 radiator that I was trying to fit before I bought a custom Griffin from Alan. The shots below are the above referenced radiator turned sideways, sitting on the front crossmember, and behind the front sway bar.

As you can see, there is plenty of room for the fan behind, and by pushing the sway bar farther forward, the fit would improve even more. The radiator would need to be custom, but the location could work if someone really wanted to. By the pictures, you can clearly see all of the space between the radiator and the fenders. This is where the aluminum work would be needed.

More difficult changes have been made to these cars...

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/nolastyankee/Radiator1.JPG

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/nolastyankee/Radiator2.JPG

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car