PDA

View Full Version : Got Internet?

pbrown
November 30th, 2005, 08:08 PM
What are you using as your Internet connection? Hopefully there are no more modem users.

olblu66
December 1st, 2005, 07:12 AM
D S L---- Here----

Russ Dickey
December 1st, 2005, 12:36 PM
I have one not on the list: Direcway Satellite. Faster than dial-up....but not by much.

eliminator
December 1st, 2005, 12:50 PM
T-1 link, at the office, dial up at home......big difference.

dmiller
December 1st, 2005, 01:56 PM
which is faster, dsl or cable?

my cable is very unreliable, and i have dsl as option, but hate to change.

thanks

doug

nolastyankee
December 1st, 2005, 04:16 PM
Doug,
Cable should be much faster than DSL, but after having both, DSL is much more consistent. I can't tell much difference between my DSL and the T1 at work. For me, price was the final straw...Cable $40 per month, DSL $15. Contact SBC/Yahoo if they are in your area.

dmiller
December 1st, 2005, 07:18 PM
Brian:

thank you, i'm pretty tired of the cable's poor reliability, down 5 days in nov.

i'll check around and see what else is avail.

doug

Unique 289_FIA
December 1st, 2005, 07:36 PM
Brian:

thank you, i'm pretty tired of the cable's poor reliability, down 5 days in nov.

i'll check around and see what else is avail.

doug

I have cable (Cox) with zero problems.

pbrown
December 1st, 2005, 08:07 PM
In general, cable broadband Internet is very fast and reliable. It depends somewhat on the provider and the neighborhood. Cable is a shared access system so if you have neighbors that are heavy users it will bring down the performance for everyone.

nolastyankee
December 2nd, 2005, 05:36 AM
In all fairness, Patrick is right, cable reliability should be just as good as anything else. The fact that cable didn't work for me and you are having similar problems is likely just coincidence.

However, there is no comparison in terms of price if DSL is available in your area. We are in a new neighborhood with new lines and it is lightning fast. We'll see if that performance keeps up as we keep growing.

All in all, from my experiences I have been much happier with my DSL service than cable.

ralphscott
December 5th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Had problems with cable over the last 7 years with 2 exceptions it was a cable modem problem. If the modem does not clear itself routinely, it gets confused. To clear it -- unplug the modem and power supply turn off the computer (shut down) wait five minutes connect the cable back to the modem and then the power cable wait a couple of minutes for all the lights to come on the modem and the turn on the computer 9 times out of 10 you will be up and ruunning. Cable modems also fail and your provider can run a check on your modem while on the phone with you. In the last two years the cable modems have improved and I'm up 98% of the time(availability) I had one modem failure and got it replaced. Rent don't buy a cable modem.

Ralph

Mike Del
October 31st, 2006, 02:58 PM
Hey,

I'm sick of seeing this old poll. How about a new one or erase this one pleeeeeease.

dmiller
October 31st, 2006, 05:45 PM
cable, but very unreliable

Aggressor
October 31st, 2006, 11:55 PM
DSL here.
-Geary

sllib
November 1st, 2006, 05:21 AM
JUST got DSL to replace dial-up. Yee hah!!

bittentoo
November 1st, 2006, 05:24 AM
Dsl.............

davebetts
November 1st, 2006, 05:31 AM
I'm using DSL here at the shop.
Still dial-up at home

JerryBP
November 10th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Have Fiber Link at work FAST, dial-up at home SLOW

Guess where I read the Forum

YerDugliness
November 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM
T-1 at work--fast, like a 427 SC.

Earthlink cable based at home--fast, too, but not quite as fast as the T-1 at work. More like a well prepped 289 FIA.

Earthlink dial up at the home of the SO--too slow. Like one of those old VW powered Cobra replicas.

Doug

JerryBP
November 13th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Hey Doug
Some VW powered toys arent that SLOW

YerDugliness
November 13th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Right you are!! I know about the Spyders--in fact, if not for my aversion to VW power, I would buy a Spyder for my 22 year old daughter, who thinks the Spyder is the coolest looking car ever built and doesn't give a whit for how fast it might run! I've been checking regularly on spyderclub.com and I'm impressed with how inexpensive they are used. I, myself, am considering a Subie powered Spyder for a future build (maybe a WRX motor???)--I had a 1963 VW that needed valve jobs so frequently that it seemed it spent more time in the shop than it did on the road, so I'm looking for more modern and trouble free "motivation". I did investigate a Porsche flat 6 powered Spyder, but found out from laneco that even used they would run $50K-$60K. I think I can build quite a roadster replica for that.

Doug

JerryBP
November 28th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Doug,
The way my Spyder runs I don't think I would want any more HP (120 from a 1915cc VW) but would like the Subie motor for a smoother and wider power band.
After I had mine running I ran into a 914 2.0L flat six motor and 5spd transaxle that would made a verry slick setup.
Do you know that they make the Spyder now with a Fox 4cyl front-drive setup?

YerDugliness
November 28th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Doug,
Do you know that they make the Spyder now with a Fox 4cyl front-drive setup?

I'm not aware of that, but interested. Would you mind telling me which company so I can check it out? I'm "desperate" to avoid VW power, as you can tell.

I'm assuming that they use the Fox FWD setup in a mid-engine layout--is this correct?

Thanks!

Doug

JerryBP
November 29th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Doug,
Correct on midship engine, sideways ahead of rear axel.
Check them out at Special Edition, Inc in Bremen, IN
http://www.beckspeedster.com/ourproducts/spyder550s.html
They are where i got mine. Jerry