PDA

View Full Version : Need new oil pan

Unique 289_FIA
December 3rd, 2005, 10:36 AM
I need a new oil pan for my S.A. 354 stoker. I currently have a Canton 7qt road race pan that I am quite displeased with. I would like a quality pan with similar features (baffling, windage tray, etc). I seem to remember reading about someone offering a custom built pan that wasn't a big company (Canton, Milodon, etc), but the search feature here won't allow a search for "oil pan" ("The following words were not included in your search because they are too common: "oil", "pan". ).

I won't buy another Canton based on my experience with this one (terrible fit, welds on seam blocking the nuts from sitting flush, etc), so other than Canton, what are the favored pans here?

Thanks for your help guys!

pbrown
December 3rd, 2005, 01:53 PM
Try that search again. I fixed the search problem.

Justin Upchurch
December 3rd, 2005, 03:35 PM
I think the pan you are looking for is called an Aviad.

Justin

sllib
December 4th, 2005, 09:15 AM
I used an Armando's 8 qt. pan specially made for my 4-bolt mains. It's flat like a marine pan so there's no ground clearance problems. I'm generally satisfied with the pan but I had to do a lot of tweakin' an' cuttin' to make everything fit. Armando used to work for Aviad so he knows what he's doing, but if you call talk to his wife; she speaks better English.
Bill Stradtner

nolastyankee
December 4th, 2005, 10:57 AM
I used to own an Aviaid pan that had all the baffling, but there was ground clearance issues. Aviaid does make a pan that will work for Cobras without the issue I had. In a nutshell, the place I bought the Aviaid from sold me the wrong pan.

In my quest for an oil pan for my car, I have purchased (and returned) and Armando's pan, and the Aviaid. I now have a Canton.

Both Armando's and Aviaid are about $100-$150 more than the Cantons. When I received both of the "A" brands, it was clear that these were modified pans. What I mean by modified is that they took a standard shaped heavy gauge pan, and cut out the bottom to install the sump. The workmanship was so-so and definitely not worth the extra money in my opinion.

The Armando's pan came scratched with a very spotty zinc finish. The welds were average and there was lots of flashing around the edges inside the pan where the original had been cut. The cut job looked like it was done by a 4th grader with a pair of dull shears. The backs of my had would get cut up just from reaching into the pan to adjust the baffle tray.

The Aviaid pan was finished and welded better, but it still looked like a hack manufacturing job. The first Aviaid pan I received was severly dented although the shipping box was in perfect shape, which leaves me to believe it left the factory that way. The second Aviaid pan I got required clearancing the mounting holes by 1/4' to get it to fit. To boot, the flange on the rear main seal was cracked and broken in the corners before installation.

After sending both of those back (the return process was not pleasant, and as Bill mentions, Armando's wife speaks adequate english but he makes all the decisions) I purchased the Canton. Having seen the others, the Canton pan is better built and finished. It fit better than the other two and I saved some cash.

If you are displeased with the Canton and can't live with it, I'd go to Stef's and have them custom modify one for you. I was tremendously disappointed in both Armando's and Aviaid.

nolastyankee
December 4th, 2005, 11:05 AM
As mentioned above...Pictures of my first "new" Aviaid pan. As for the scratches on the bottom, the second wasn't much better.

I understand a pan will get beat up, but for the price I expect it to be new when I get it. I'd like to be the one doing the damage!

TurnpikeBoy
December 4th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Although there really was nothing wrong with the stock pan, I too felt the urge to go trick. And, as luck would have it, a real nice guy out in Kalif. found out his new Milodon pan wouldn't work with his setup. So - I bought it. I then also bought a Milodon pickup, and installed all last winter, on my back, in a frozen garage.

Milodon makes a nice product. It sure looks like a totally custom pan (not a mod job); welds are really nice; the gold coating is perfectly uniform; the pickup fit without any beatings, too. Best part is that nothing leaks, anywhere - even after having been installed under less than ideal circumstances. Worst part is that there were only two fittings welded in, and I needed three. I wound up making a bushing to hold the temp sender, that also doubles as the drain plug.

So. Another option.

nolastyankee
December 4th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I'll second the Milodon pan, I got one in a package deal with some valve covers that I bought second hand off CC. The finish on the Milodon pan was as nice as I have seen, much better than my Canton. If they have an pan you like, it's a good product.

For a car not even on the road yet, the Spence car is on its 5th pan...

Unique 289_FIA
December 4th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I used to own an Aviaid pan that had all the baffling, but there was ground clearance issues. Aviaid does make a pan that will work for Cobras without the issue I had. In a nutshell, the place I bought the Aviaid from sold me the wrong pan.

In my quest for an oil pan for my car, I have purchased (and returned) and Armando's pan, and the Aviaid. I now have a Canton.

Both Armando's and Aviaid are about $100-$150 more than the Cantons. When I received both of the "A" brands, it was clear that these were modified pans. What I mean by modified is that they took a standard shaped heavy gauge pan, and cut out the bottom to install the sump. The workmanship was so-so and definitely not worth the extra money in my opinion.

The Armando's pan came scratched with a very spotty zinc finish. The welds were average and there was lots of flashing around the edges inside the pan where the original had been cut. The cut job looked like it was done by a 4th grader with a pair of dull shears. The backs of my had would get cut up just from reaching into the pan to adjust the baffle tray.

The Aviaid pan was finished and welded better, but it still looked like a hack manufacturing job. The first Aviaid pan I received was severly dented although the shipping box was in perfect shape, which leaves me to believe it left the factory that way. The second Aviaid pan I got required clearancing the mounting holes by 1/4' to get it to fit. To boot, the flange on the rear main seal was cracked and broken in the corners before installation.

After sending both of those back (the return process was not pleasant, and as Bill mentions, Armando's wife speaks adequate english but he makes all the decisions) I purchased the Canton. Having seen the others, the Canton pan is better built and finished. It fit better than the other two and I saved some cash.

If you are displeased with the Canton and can't live with it, I'd go to Stef's and have them custom modify one for you. I was tremendously disappointed in both Armando's and Aviaid.

This is what I was afraid of with the "A" pans. For the price they command, I would expect top notch quality.

I like the design of the Canton I have (road race pan), but the fit is sub par, and I have a hard time getting past the fact they put a weld right next to a bolt hole in such a way that the nut cannot sit flush. That seems basic to me.

I'm looking for a pan with the same design characteristics as the Canton Road Race, but with better workmanship.

Unique 289_FIA
December 4th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Milodon makes a nice product. It sure looks like a totally custom pan (not a mod job); welds are really nice; the gold coating is perfectly uniform; the pickup fit without any beatings, too. Best part is that nothing leaks, anywhere - even after having been installed under less than ideal circumstances. Worst part is that there were only two fittings welded in, and I needed three. I wound up making a bushing to hold the temp sender, that also doubles as the drain plug.

So. Another option.

I have been looking at the Milodons. Which model do you have? I would like one with 7+ qt capacity, gated baffling, windage tray and scraper built in; i.e., the Milodon version of the road race pan.

TurnpikeBoy
December 4th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I have been looking at the Milodons. Which model do you have?

I have the #31600, which is their roadrace pan. Pan capacity is 7 quarts; it has several built-in baffles, but does not have a built-in scraper or windage tray. Milodon's site lists the tray as a separate item for these pans, too. They don't say anything about scrapers, tho.

Check them out at www.milodon.net - lots of good info.

eliminator
December 5th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Canton has added a really nice aluminum road race pan to their line, would think they have that for your application. I have seen only one and it is super nice.

rdorman
December 5th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Dissapointing about the Armondo pan. I really link mine. It is a 'one man show' so some times things happen. Mine bolted up with no mods at all, didn't even have to remove the starter. Of course I have to pull the oil pump for the new pickup but no big deal. I had to get a pan though, the 'stocker' would not hold pressure when I was autocrossing. No problem with the new pan though!

souzape
December 5th, 2005, 03:39 PM
I'm curious about the initial reason for your discontent with the Canton pan. I have a Cleveland from SA with the Canton pan and have been dogged from the outset with a constant dribble of oil down the flywheel cover on the leading edge of the bell housing (lower front cover). Suspected a rear main seal leak but I have recently become suspicious of a pin hole leak in the weld seam on the trailing edge of the pan in the kick-out area. Any one else had this type of problem??

nolastyankee
December 5th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Phil Germond had a pinhole leak in his Canton pan last year...

Phil, comments?

Unique 289_FIA
December 5th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Canton has added a really nice aluminum road race pan to their line, would think they have that for your application. I have seen only one and it is super nice.

Hmmm, is it this one? http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/pans/road_race/ford_front_sump.html

4th from the top,
#13-630A / #13-680A
FORD 302 & 351W ALUMINUM FRONT SUMP OIL PANS

eliminator
December 6th, 2005, 05:24 AM
If you scroll down it's the 13-603A for the 289-302 or the 13-608A for the 351 Block.

GREENHOUSE
December 6th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Have You Look In To Hamburger's Or Stef's Oil Pans When I Was In To Round Track Racing Hamburger's Are What A Lot Of The Big Boys Ran. I Used The Budget Pans From Speedway Motors They Had Multi Trap Doors, And Scrapers . If You Start Turning Right And Left You Need To Change The Way The Doors Open And Close.
Mike