PDA

View Full Version : One piece oil pan gaskets for SBF

bstandley1
December 8th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I'm scoping out my next winter project and my leaking Canton oil pan is staring me in the face. I was doing some research on one piece oil pan gaskets for SBFs and was wondering if any of you had used one. It sure looks like a much easier way to go especially if you're replacing the gasket from underneath in an unheated garage. Appreciate any input.

Bob

TurnpikeBoy
December 8th, 2005, 06:32 PM
It sure looks like a much easier way to go especially if you're replacing the gasket from underneath in an unheated garage.
Bob

Brother, I feel your pain. And I will pray for you. This one won't kill you, but I promise it will make you stronger.

I installed the pan with a one-piece gasket; while it did make it possible (as opposed to a multi-pc.), it wasn't much fun. The plastic studs included to hold the gasket in place wouldn't fit thru the bolt holes - so dabs of Permatex glued the gasket up while the pan was put on. As you might surmise, this took more than a few tries.....my Quaker neighbors have no doubt about the ultimate disposition of my soul.

Anyway. Finally got it in, and it does not leak. And, like I said, with as much trouble as it was to get it in, I cannot imagine trying to finagle two side gaskets and two end gaskets and an oil pan, and ending up with no leaks. That, I think, would have pushed me around the bend.

Unique 289_FIA
December 8th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I'm scoping out my next winter project and my leaking Canton oil pan is staring me in the face. I was doing some research on one piece oil pan gaskets for SBFs and was wondering if any of you had used one. It sure looks like a much easier way to go especially if you're replacing the gasket from underneath in an unheated garage. Appreciate any input.

Bob

My Canton pan leaks rather badly, and I've tried one-piece gaskets, 4-piece and straight Black Magic gasket maker. I'm now looking at replacing the pan.

chrisknueven
December 14th, 2005, 06:32 AM
bob,
if you decide to use the one piece gasket do yourself a favor and get the
ford oem gasket for either a 302 or 351. this is a one piece gasket with the
side rails that are plastic/solid with a raised sealing area. the trick to
installing this gasket is to use a small dab of silicone at the four corners of
the main caps. then take a 5/16x3/4" bolt with a flat washer and put them in
the corner holes and snug them down. you can then easily push the seal
into the main caps. now let the silicone dry for a couple of hours. when
you remove the bolts to install the pan the gasket will stay in place while
you line the pan and side rails up........after doing this 30 or 40 times on
my trucks at work (and the cobra a couple of times),this is the easiest way
to tackle this.
at least on the cobra you dont have to fight the crossmember under
the oil pan.........
by the way i have had my pan on and off multiple times(dont ask) and the
ford gasket always stays in place and is reused with no leaks....
enjoy....
chris

bstandley1
December 15th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the assistance. I'm waiting for the temperature to rise a bit before tackling the job.