PDA

View Full Version : hard starting ?

scott
January 5th, 2006, 05:58 PM
my 351W has a hard time cranking over when the motor is hot. The starter is wrapped with insulation. should i add more starter insulation, get a better starter or try something else. the motor turns over fine when it is cold.

Silk
January 6th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Do you have a standard Ford starter or a reduction gear mini-starter? I was having the same problem and switched to the mini-starter. It's smaller and sits further away from the headers - haven't had any problems since and don't need any insulation.

clayfoushee
January 7th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Ditto what Silk said on multiple cars with headers.

scott
January 7th, 2006, 07:43 AM
yes, it is a standard size. i figured i would have to go with a reduction gear .
boats are called holes the the water you throw money into. what do they call kit cars?

scott
January 7th, 2006, 07:45 AM
that was supposed to be " in the water "

Pete W
February 14th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Before you go to the expense of a starter try running a dedicated heavy gauge ground ( O gauge or close to that thickness) wire from your battery negative to one of your existing starter mounting bolts. The most stress is put on your starter turning a hot motor, a poor ground will not allow the starter to work to full potential. That cured my hot start woes and my 446 stroker with 10.6 to 1 compression now starts like a champ when hot.

K.Wilson
February 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Pete,
Ditto that ground strap. I ran a ground strap from the bracket that the forward brace roll bar bolts to, over to the bottom starter bolt. I used a ground strap from an MGB that is used for the same purpose. You can buy them new from British Victoria.
I too have not had a "hot crank" problem after I installed the strap.
Also, it may not hurt to have a look at all the connections to see that they are clean (no paint or corrosion) and tight.
Keith

scott
February 15th, 2006, 06:06 PM
i do have a strap from the starter bolt to the frame. will check for good connections. would going all the way to the battery be better than a the strap to a nearby frame point. this weekend it would not start after about a 20 minute drive ,had to get a push start from friendly locals. i did take off the insulation wrap since it seemed to do no good but i may try it again

Pete W
February 16th, 2006, 10:04 AM
That's the whole idea....By going from the starter right to the battery negative where it attaches to the frame you have the best ground. I remember when I was a kid I installed the battery in the trunk of my 1969 Mach I wound up pushing the car to get it started everytime that it got hot , an "adult" told me about the direct ground and it solved my problem. Just use thick cable that will be able to carry the load. I trust that your battery and charging system are both working properly.

Master
February 18th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Must be nice to drive your car this time of year it's 17 degrees here and I have withdrawal symptoms.

scott
February 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM
it was about 80 degrees last weekend, had to decide between taking the cobra out or taking the boat for a spin, this week it is freezing and we actually got some snow, something that last happened 15 years ago