PDA

View Full Version : Towing

olblu66
January 8th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Well the car broke down again, and this time, it needed to be towed. The driver said he had never towed anything quite like the Cobra. He wasn't even sure where to hook the car up. Well, we finally got it on the flatbed and off we went. Now for the future tows, do you call for a flatbed or something else? And does anyone know the best place to (and NOT TO) hook the car up? All I could do was shake my head because I really didnt know. Any insight would be appriciated. Thanks, Pat

Tony Radford
January 8th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Pat, what happened?

ralphscott
January 9th, 2006, 04:15 AM
When I have been towed we used a tongue tow, a bar off of the back of the tow truck that supports the rear wheels so you are towing the car backwards. Hydralics lowers the rear so the nose does not drag. Worked great downhill and with off camber turn into my driveway.

Ralph

Master
January 9th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Call a buddy with a car trailer or a flat bed would be my choice.

ralphscott
January 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM
If one is close by ....

olblu66
January 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Well Tony, seems the radiator cap was missing and I'm not sure how long it was off. It cruised at about 160 - 180 but red lights in Norcross ran the temp up. Last look was at 210 and poof, water hit the windshield. I pulled right over and opened the hood, only to see the cap gone. Now here's the question...if the engine was that hot, would it try to turn over because all you could hear was the cellanoid(SP??) kicking in, sort of like a knock, knock sound. Anyway, I had to have it towed. After getting home hoday, it started up, came up to normal water temp, shut it down and it started several times after that. Now, this is after buying a new 13 lb cap and water.

Ralph and Scott, what I am trying to figure out is where on the frame do you put hooks on straps to get it up on the flatbed? He tied it to the a-frame, I think.

Pat

ralphscott
January 9th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Pat, When I built Lil'Cobra I also fabricated tie-down loops so I could tie the car down in the trailer two in the front attached to the frame and two in the rear attached to the frame mounts for the IRS. I have never had my car on a flatbed. However with the towbar supporting the rear wheels they use a net over the rear wheels to secure it to the tow bar then hydraulically adjust the tow bar to a height so that the nose of the car does not drag and that the pan clears. My guess is that with a rollback flatbed they still would have to build-up the area under the front wheels to get the car on the platform without dragging. Much like loading or unloading it out of a trailer -- the ramp needs to be gently sloping or the pan will drag or hang-up. Hope this helps...

Ralph

pgermond
January 9th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Master has the right answer, if you can swing it.... a buddy w/a car trailer (I carry a couple of tel #'s in my wallet). Personally, I would be nervous as he!! having it lifted on a flatbed or dragging it backwards.

my $0.02