PDA

View Full Version : Dyno'd SA 354 stroker (and air cleaner info)

Unique 289_FIA
March 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Dyno'd the Cobra today and did a back to back comparison of w/ and w/out air filter. My air cleaner setup is a 14x3 K&N with drop base and hi-flow K&N top (can see pic in gallery).

Engine is a Southern Automotive (since modified) 354 stroker, run on a dynojet.

Results:

w/ air cleaner: 348.24 rwhp, 341.97 rwtq
w/o air cleaner: 352.45 rwhp, 347.05 rwtq

Not too bad. The K&N drop-base setup only costs ~4hp. Need to get an ignition box as the graphs looked to indicate the spark couldn't quite keep up at the upper rpm range.

/wondering if I can get near the 400 rwhp barrier if I fab up some dump tubes to run through :D :D

TurnpikeBoy
March 19th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Nice! That IS impressive; all the reason anyone should need to keep the filter in place. Wonder what the K&N filtertop adds to the picture. To say nothing of 350+ rwhp.

BTW, what is your distributor? and what kind of advance did you have in it at the time of the runs?

Unique 289_FIA
March 19th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks! It's an MSD Pro Billet "Ready to Run" distributor. I swapped out the Mallory that SA typically supplies for more adjustability. Set at 34* total, 16* initial, all in by 2800 rpm. It's designed to run with or without a box, but the dyno graph was a bit jagged at top end, so I'll probably add a 6AL (just have a Soft Touch Rev Limiter now) to make sure the spark can keep up.

scott
March 20th, 2006, 06:01 PM
i seem to remember some posts last year where someone using a k&n filter top experienced fuel actually being sucked out of the carb due to turbulence through the scoop