PDA

View Full Version : rear tailshaft seal

portscobra
March 19th, 2006, 12:40 PM
is it possible to pull just the tailshaft to replace the rear seal? transmission is a toploader.

Poorboy
March 19th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Depends on what kind of transmission you have. You should be able to replace the seal without removing the tail housing.

Poorboy

Tony Radford
March 19th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I had my tail shaft seal replaced several times and they kept leaking. Finally, I took my car to Vintage Mustang (at Susan Parham's suggestion) where they replaced the internal bushing. They had a special tool that allowed them to remove the old bushing without removing anything except the driveshaft. The seals in my tranny (Toploader) slid in the rear after removing the drive shaft.

eliminator
March 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
The toploader as described has an internal bushing in the tailshaft, this can be replaced by removing the tailshaft, only way to do it. The seal however can be replaced with the tailshaft bolted to the transmission. Just remove the drive shaft, can be a little tricky depending on the rear - end. If there is quite a bit of up and down movement in the splined output shaft 1/16" or more then the bushing is bad.

Tony Radford
March 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Rick, not true! I watched the guy at Vintage remove the bushing from my toploader with everything intact. He had this interesting little tool that slid over the shaft and had four prongs that extended on the other side of the bushing by turning a nut. He had the bushing out in a matter of seconds removing nothing but the drive shaft.

eliminator
March 21st, 2006, 05:32 AM
Wonder how many of those little tool's are out there??

RJacobsen
March 21st, 2006, 08:22 PM
Wonder how many of those little tool's are out there??
If you can find a Ford dealership thats been around for awhile they probably have one in with the service tools that they were required to buy. There might not be anyone that knows what it is though.