PDA

View Full Version : Tailshaft aliment to differential

portscobra
March 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Back again guys, upon further examination, I noticed that my driveshaft to rear differential is about 3/4" offset - or not inline with differential. Is this normal? Can this be the problem with the seal going bad? Car only has 2400 miles on it. Also, noticed that there is play up/down on yolk that attaches to tailshaft

TurnpikeBoy
March 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Back again guys, upon further examination, I noticed that my driveshaft to rear differential is about 3/4" offset - or not inline with differential. Is this normal? Can this be the problem with the seal going bad? Car only has 2400 miles on it. Also, noticed that there is play up/down on yolk that attaches to tailshaft

Perfectly normal. That's why you have universals in the driveshaft, too - to allow for that offset. Normally you wouldn't see it because the driveshaft is about 5 feet long.

With regard to a bad seal, and up/down play, I suspect you'll find that to be the reason the seal went bad. Is the play within the universal joint itself? - or is it where the yoke is slid into the back end of the trans? A tiny little bit of movement here can be tolerated, but lots (in excess of around 1/16") of up/down is not good. Generally speaking, if the u-joint is bad you'll get weird vibrations in the car, and some squeaking/clunking noises too.

Roger

portscobra
March 19th, 2006, 05:34 PM
thanks turnpikeboy universals are good, the play up an down is only .015 or less. thanks - takes a little edge off an will replace seal and bushing.

nolastyankee
March 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM
On a Jag rear end the input is not in the center of the diff housing. If there is no offset at all, the rear end or the transmission is out of alignment!