PDA

View Full Version : Steering Column Collar

priobe
March 31st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Hello All,

I would like to know if there is a collar for the steering column that positions the turn signal on the left side of the wheel. I was thinking in turning the current collar but it would look right.

Or is there a collar that is completely solid with out a provison for the turn signal.

Any suggestions welcome

TurnpikeBoy
March 31st, 2006, 04:08 PM
I'm thinkin you will find inadequate room to position the signal switch on the left.

If you're determined, you could probably just rotate the entire upper column assembly to do this.

pgermond
March 31st, 2006, 04:17 PM
Why do you want to reposition it? I find entertaining when I drive my Cobra after driving my other vehicles and automatically reaching for the left side to use the turn indicator - reassurance that I'm driving something unique ;)

ralphscott
March 31st, 2006, 04:39 PM
Of the many British sports cars I have owned of those that did have turn signal switches they were on the right. Remember that they do drive on the other side of the road over there, and that is why the signal is back a$$ward

Ralph

JeepSnake
March 31st, 2006, 06:48 PM
Priobe -

I can give you two good answers on this one (yes, I'm extremely proud that I actually can give an answer instead of asking a question!):

1) As TurnpikeBoy says, you CAN rotate the entire upper steering column 180 degrees to position the blinker stalk in the typical US position (sticking out to the left of the column).

2) You will probably NOT be able to use your right blinker while your high beams are on. Dad actually has his column turned this way now, and with the stalk in the high beam position, it hangs on the lip of the body if you try to put the right blinker on. We intend to rotate his column over to the other side, but we just never seem to think about it when we have the time to work on it.

Hope this helps!

priobe
April 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM
I thought about placing the column 180 but then you will see the screw holes on the top.

Another reason why I would like to place the turn signal on the left is because it get in the way of the ign key which I placed on the right.

again another reason why is because I am using the turn signal from finishline.

And final reason.... I seem to alway put my self in these difficult situations.

I am thinking I might have to just us the unique set up.

Brent
April 1st, 2006, 03:41 PM
Had mine on the left.
No problem, just flipped the column over.

priobe
April 1st, 2006, 06:20 PM
hey Brent is that a unique steering column?

Do you have closer pics?

Thanks for the feedback

Brent
April 2nd, 2006, 09:26 AM
Yes it is the Unique column
I don't have a closer pic but you can see the lever on the left side through the spokes on the steering wheel.

TurnpikeBoy
April 2nd, 2006, 01:52 PM
Had mine on the left.
No problem, just flipped the column over.

You heretic.

Brent
April 2nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
You are correct.
I am a nonconformist for sure.

priobe
April 3rd, 2006, 10:46 AM
Brent,

1 last question. With the column flipped 180 degrees the 4 assembly holes are now exposed. Did you plug them with something or did you just leave them expossed?

Thanks

Brent
April 3rd, 2006, 03:04 PM
I guess I left them exposed, to be honest I never noticed them.