PDA

View Full Version : Project, Shifter Location, 4 speed toploader

eliminator
April 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM
After I built my car the only thing I was not happy with was the shifter location.
It was too far back and to high.

This was a project that stayed on the back burner since 2003.

#1 to change the location the carpet must be pulled from the transmission tunnel.
#2 the existing hole must be dealt with as the new location will be 3-4 " forward.
#3 the linkage has to be shorter and the shifter lower than the previous mounting location.

Not an easy task

After pulling the transmission we made a week-end trip to visit my old friend, Butch Capps in Knoxville. The transmission went along for the journey. Butch had been down this road before on his 427 car. We used a late Model Mustang Hurst Super Shifter, and cut the chrome shifter off. We then used a Hurst Torino linkage kit to move the shifter forward. Ater using Butch's jig for this project we did some welding on the new shifter so we could mount the appropiate Cobra style shifter. This will let the shifter locate to a position just to the right of the steering wheel. It will be at the correct angle and height (Butch had researched this in volumes of documents about original 427 S/C cars). Pictured is the old shifter and mounting plate. The new mounting plate is installed on the toploader.