PDA

View Full Version : alternator question

homer
April 22nd, 2006, 09:37 AM
when starting my car the car runs for about 5-10 minutes or so drawing power from the battery, then the amp meter swings and the alternator throws off a charge. I am getting 12.5v across the battery terminals. I havee not had a problem with the battery dying. Is this normal or is my alternator begining to go. Thanks.

Poorboy
April 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM
Homer,
Some alternators will do that. Try blippen the throttle up to about1500-1700 once oil pressure comes up. Some time the regulator needs a little extra shot to get started.

Poorboy

weaver
April 23rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Help me out, who's Homer?

Alan

JeepSnake
April 23rd, 2006, 04:30 PM
Homer -

Same thing with my alternator. Blipping the throttle will get 'er going just fine.

I think it has something to do with the excitation voltage going to the alternator with a 1-wire setup. If you want more in-depth discussion, try a Google search for Mad Electrical - they used to have a good article about this phenomenon.

Hope this helps!

homer
April 23rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
thanks - thats what I was hoping for. Its funny, the other night I went out for drive and the amp never swung into charging territory -- got back home and popped the throttle a couple of times and it lit up -- will make sure I pop it a couple of times before I head out in the dark next time

eliminator
April 24th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Don't know who Homer is Alan.