PDA

View Full Version : Wiper problem

bstandley1
May 24th, 2006, 11:59 AM
On my way back from Reno, I ran my Windshield Wipers for over seven hours and much to my relief, had no problems. When I got home, I turned the wiper switch on to reposition the wipers (my wipers stop wherever they are when I hit the switch) and the wipers would barely move. As the wipers moved, the blades seemed to twist and part of both wipers was extending below the windshield (linkage problem?). Have any of you folks ever worked on the wipers and if so, can you give me some ideas on how to proceed with a fix. Any suggestions / sources for repair would be much appreciated.

One last thing ... during the last hour or so of operation, it seemed like the speed of the wipers picked up markedly. I noticed that it was harder to time the shut off to allow the wipers to return to the off position... I don't think I was hallucinating but you never know.

Bob

weaver
May 25th, 2006, 06:05 AM
When your car was built no one sold new wiper motors, now you can buy new ones from Moss Motors at 800-228-4574. You can take yours apart and try greasing it, that might help.

Alan

bstandley1
May 25th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks Alan,

Any tips on how to remove the old motor? (Remove dash?)

Bob

eliminator
May 29th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Yep, remove the dash. Then if the MSD Box is mounted where most are (in front of the wiper motor), you will have to drop it out of the way. No wiper arm linkeage, works off of spiral technology, round gear with teeth, and a spiral spring type drive.

bstandley1
May 29th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks Rick,

It appears that the fuse block will have to loosened as well. I'm waiting until the carpeting is dry before I start. Looks like I first remove the gear cover then disconnect the drive cable then pull out the motor. Nothing like an under dash adventure!

Bob

Mike Del
May 31st, 2006, 10:15 AM
Bob,
If you use the lucas wiper switch you will be able to have two speeds and it will self park the wiper blades. You will need to make a wiring harness to run between the switch and the wiper motor. It's no big deal though. If your wiper blade passes too far down when it parks just remove the whole arm and reinstall it slightly higher. You need to release a spring clip that holds the arm onto the post that penetrates the cowl.

Mike

bstandley1
May 31st, 2006, 10:47 PM
Mike,

I'm hoping that when all is said and done, I'll have two speed wipers that actually park .

Bob

bstandley1
June 2nd, 2006, 04:39 PM
Just an update:

I pulled the wiper motor today and sent an e mail to Moss Motors with the part numbers that were on the gear cover plate. Once I dropped the dash, removing the motor was a snap. There were five blade connectors on the backside of the gear cover, but only a hot and ground were actually connected. One item of interest: the plate was marked with "14W Park" so I'm assuming that if the motor had been wired properly and the correct lucas switch had been used, I might have had two speed wipers that parked ....
I anxiously await a response from Moss ....

Bob