PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

peter
May 28th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Im new to this Forum and to Uniques. I have purchased a FIA 289 with a Southern Automotive 408. Its 1400 miles from where I live and I am going to pick it up this week and drive it home. Any words of wisdom? what to pack / bring with me? The car has 1500 miles, 3 years old and no top. I cant tell you how excited I am.

Jerry Cowing
May 28th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Welcome to Unique. You'll have lots of fun driving this car.
-- These cars are very dependable after they are broken in. However, any new build can have trouble until the bugs are worked out.
-- Cell Phone with the Weaver's number near by and/or someone to follow you. It's hard to hear your cell phone or walkee-talkee while driving unless it has a loud volume.
-- Sunscreen SPF15+
-- Hat with a good brim to shade your eyes and one the wind won't blow off. I like using the British sportscar hats because the rear band extends down the back of the head further than baseball caps keeping it securely on your head.
-- Narrow shoes so you don't push 2 peddles simultaneously
-- Long pants so you don't burn yourself on the exhaust or sunburn your legs
-- Windproof jacket for evening or early morning driving. Most jackets allow the wind to blow through them making it feel cold.
-- Longsleeve shirt incase you start getting sunburned or windburned.
-- Paper or cloth wipes to remove the dew or condensation from the windshield again for early morning or evening driving.
-- Ear plugs. The sound sounds great for short trips, but causes a lot of fatigue during long trips. Some folks use headsets connected to a 2-way radio and boom mic to communicate with another vehicle in the convoy (like pilots use). Driving with a headset on is against the law in some states.
-- Spare oil incase gas station doesn't carry your brand.
-- Bottled water. It will probably get hot.
-- Thin piece of foam (1") to place on the seat cushion. These cars are not known for having comfortable seat cushions. I modified mine and it is good now. Don't use a boat cushion as it will make you sit too high and blow your hat off.
-- If you use the shoulder harness, wear a shirt with a collar so the shoulder belts don't rub your neck raw.

Slither
May 28th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Welcome to the site Pete, glad you made it! Jerry's advice sounds great. I saw that the guys who came to the Homecoming from New England brought car covers to keep moisture off the cars overnight. Also, I would bring an extra hat just in case the wind gets one of them:rolleyes:!

Bring a camera to chronicle the trip. You can take photos of the car along the way. Also, if you do have a problem, it might aid in the description process. (A laptop computer or cell phone that can transmit photos would be needed to send/post the photos.)

Finally, I think polarized sunglasses would be a big help.

Tell us where you will be traveling. There might be some owners along your trail that you could hook up with, either to visit or if you have any trouble.

Good luck with the road trip, and keep us posted.

peter
May 28th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Anyone know this car?

peter
May 28th, 2006, 12:21 PM
and thanks all for the excellent advise

juanone
May 28th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Hi Peter:

You can rest assured that your car will handle beautifully once you adjust the car ride height and the alignment by a professional. I just went through mine with Rick Bagley, he also owns a Unique, and the car handles amazingly.

Where do you live?

Juan

peter
May 28th, 2006, 05:19 PM
in Dayton Ohio

Slither
May 28th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Isn't that the birthplace of flying Cobras... or something like that:rolleyes:.

I have worked with some great folks at Sinclair CC and U of Dayton.

juanone
May 28th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Peter:

If you are from Dayton certainly you will go to the London Cobra Show? Very awesome event for Cobra Lovers. We will look forward to seeing you there.

Juan

peter
May 29th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Ill be there for sure!

eliminator
May 29th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Depends on who built the car and how it has been maintained. Some of them, I would not trust to go 100 miles and others would go thousands of miles!!!

A good preflight on the running gear, engine, and systems would be at the top of the list.

nolastyankee
May 30th, 2006, 06:04 AM
This car looks and sounds alot like "Ruby", an FIA built by Jeff Karnitz from Eau Claire, WI that made it's way down to Arizona or New Mexico. Ruby was used in pictures by Juan as he planned his FIA. If this is the car, it's a beauty and very well done.

Where is the car being picked up?

weaver
May 30th, 2006, 10:29 AM
It's not Ruby, this car was built by Deron Hart of Alburquerque NM and was the 2nd Cobra he has built. It looks nice and has enough test miles to be drive on a long trip, I think Tom Melia only had 300 miles on his before he left for Homecoming. I would have bought the car if it had not sold.

Alan

bstandley1
May 31st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Peter,

Good luck with your car. I heartily recommend the Rain-X treatment on both sides of the glass, some temperpedic foam for the tailbone and I would bring along a pint of brake fluid, just in case the clutch slave cylinder starts to leak. During my most recent road trip, I had to add about three ounces of fluid to the master cylinder then bleed it. I wasn't able to find a replacement slave so I checked the fluid level at every fill up and made it home without any problems.

Have a safe and enjoyable drive!

Bob

peter
June 2nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
I made it! 1500+ miles in 3 days. Smooth fun ride. Special thanks to Allen for his help with some questions along the way. Car ran strong and solid with just a few little issues that were handled along the way. I went prepared for anything.