PDA

View Full Version : Help: sticking clutch

excelguru
July 13th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Just in the past two times that I've driven the car, the clutch has been sticking in the disengaged position (push in the clutch and it stays there). So I have to kick it some and suddenly, WHAM, the pedal jumps up from the floor and the rear tires go up in smoke. Or more embarassingly, the engine stalls.

Recently (month ago), the pedal was squeaking some, so I sprayed a little WD40 onto the pedal assembly. Aside from that, nothing is different.

If some of the WD40 managed to migrate into the cylinder on the master cylinder (I can't imagine how, but let's just suppose), would that cause the problem? The car hasn't been driven much in recent months. Is it possible that the throwout bearing is sticking from lack of use?

The clutch is doing it's job... it disengages when the pedal is down and engages when the pedal returns. It doesn not slip at all when engaged. It's just that the pedal sticks at the bottom. What are your thoughts on some simple things that I could try? Was the WD40 a stupid thing to do? Or maybe I didn't spray enough?

brfutbrian
July 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM
If some of the WD40 managed to migrate into the cylinder on the master cylinder (I can't imagine how, but let's just suppose), would that cause the problem? The car hasn't been driven much in recent months. Is it possible that the throwout bearing is sticking from lack of use?

keith, i cant imagine wd 40 would either, or if that can cause a sticking problem. lack of use could do it, but theres an awful lot of pressure from pressure plate for it to stay stuck from just lack of use. i think you probably have some galling in the htob if youre using that setup, or the slave cylinder or the front bearing retainer that the throwout bearing slides on if youre using that type setup.and i guess the master cylinder could gall up too and do it. teardown is probably the only way youre going to find out. later, freakin`brian.

JeepSnake
July 13th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Yep, there's going to be teardown involved to some extent. :(

Have you tried isolating it first? Try disconnecting the MC pushrod from the pedal, and check the pedal to see if it's actually hanging up somewhere, or overtravelling where it then gets stuck. Once you've proven the pedal assembly, reconnect it, and remove the pushrod (or pull) at the clutch fork if you have an external slave. Work the pedal, the master cylinder, and then work the slave cylinder by hand to see if it's catching in its bore. If all that checks out, I guess you'll have to go into the bellhousing.

I'm thinking with Brian, though - I suspect a galled front bearing retainer on the trans. I've seen it several times on just the very few transmissions I've fooled with.

Good luck!

eliminator
July 14th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Thats another reason to use a H T O B.

excelguru
July 14th, 2006, 06:36 AM
I'll run through the isolation procedure and see what I get... just as soon as I get some free time. (sigh) Thanks, guys.