PDA

View Full Version : Dream Cobra drive???

JeepSnake
July 18th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Hey gang! Well, cabin fever of sorts is setting in around here - the block for Dad's new engine is away at the machine shop, and it's been so blistering hot with fierce pop-up thunderclouds that getting the cars out the last week or so has been near impossible. (Except to test my new carb yesterday - very nice!) So, I've been pondering highways & byways, browsing the web, Rand McNally, and DeLorme...

So, I thought I'd pose the question to all on the board: What are some of your "dream drives" for you and your Unique? It may be a route you've already driven, one that you're planning to drive, or one that you may never drive, but you still find your mind ruminating on just before you drift off to sleep. It might be a highway, a race track, a cross-country rally, or who knows what!

To kick us off, here are a few of mine, in no particular order:

1) Tail of the Dragon/US 129 - we're actually planning to make this run on our way to Pigeon Forge this year during midweek.

2) Going to the Sun Road - in Glacier National Park (I think). Saw it on TV a few months ago, have been fascinated with it ever since.

3) Blue Ridge Parkway - in mid to late fall, with plenty of misty mornings requiring sweaters & jackets, and the musty smell of rotting leaves in the curves & hollows.

4) Big Horn Mountains & Yellowstone - in early June, while there's still snow on the ground, but the roads are clear and the coffee's hot.

Well, that's a start. There are plenty of other jaunts I'd love to take - some possible, and some just way out there. I might list more tomorrow. BUT, in the meantime - WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR DREAM COBRA TRIPS???

Justin Upchurch
July 18th, 2006, 09:00 PM
This fall I would really like to take my car up to the Texas Hill Country. My Grandparents purchased a house in Wimberly, TX that our family still maintains, so I would like to start out there and drive Devil's Backbone and Rt 12 over to Green as well as drive down to Fredricksburg and go through the Naval Musuem. If any of the other Texas folks would like to meet up we have a couple of extra rooms for this adventure.
I would also like to do the sanke, but I don't know that that will happen. The other places I would really like to drive is Road America and the Silver State Classic.

Justin

sllib
July 19th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Zach;
I've done the Blue Ridge Pkwy. and the Skyline Drive, but on a Z-1 Kawasaki, not yet a Cobra. They're great in the Fall when most of the slow campers and motor homes are gone, but watch out for the Park police. When the temp. is in the nineties down in the valley it's a great way to cool off.

pgermond
July 19th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Zach,

If you are ever out west, here's a link that is guaranteed to provide some excellent information on some fantastic roads (although it is targeted for motorcycles, it works just fine for Cobras, etc :D ).

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm