PDA

View Full Version : Side Pipe Temps

pgermond
July 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
Have any of you measured the temp of your side pipes using one of those infared/laser hand held gadgets?

casaleenie
July 22nd, 2006, 08:08 PM
I've used my legs on two seperate occasions and I gotta tell you that "they're farkin' hot"

pgermond
July 22nd, 2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks, Al.... I know they are hot 'cause I just toasted mine for the second time in as many years. I'm curious as too "how hot" they get, because it only takes a nano-second to cause some serious damage :o

casaleenie
July 23rd, 2006, 06:38 AM
I've got a temp gun and the next time I fire it up I'll shoot it and see where the temps are....

eliminator
July 24th, 2006, 06:22 AM
I have shot everthing on the Cobra with my infared temp. gun.

Around the collector area, 4 bolts, end of the header, 375 to 425 degrees.

Rear brake rotors under heavy braking around 400 degrees, while the vented front rotors run 250-260. Thats why you have to change the differental grease more often. The rear rotors help heat it up since the are attached to the stub axles right out of the differental.

Tire temperatures usually run 105 to 117, a car that is aligned good with the correct tire pressure, the variation wil be within 2-3 degreees.

Great little device, you can shoot the rear hub bearings, wheel bearings, all sorts of things. Even tell you when the beer is ready to consume, 34 degrees.

will butterworth
July 24th, 2006, 08:56 AM
all have the cobra tattoo---or some call it a tramp stamp neatly fried into a leg somewhere, they get hottt.Will-alabama

pgermond
July 24th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Rick - thanks for the info, although they seem a lot hotter ;)

Will - I prefer "badge of honor", to tramp stamp. Out here, one of those tattoo's in the small of one's back is referred to as a tramp stamp :D

eliminator
July 24th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I am sure the black pipes are hotter, one problem with infared the silver coating will effect the reading, reflective material. Also has to do with the type fuel and how hard you run the engine. So I am sure that over 500 degrees is possible.

wlewis
July 24th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Rick,
I would have guessed front rotors to get hotter because they carry more of the load. When adjusting my brake bias, I assummed that. Maybe I should look at them again. Thanks for the info.
Walter

traveler
July 25th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I like to refer to it as a snake bite . I am trying to get over my first bite now . Hope to never get bitten again . It does hurt . It is just like a snake .You never see it comming but you sure know you have been bitten .

Happened about two weeks ago still feels like it just happened .

eliminator
July 25th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Walter,

You have to remember, the rear inboard rotors carry more tempertature because:

They are solid rotors
They do not get the air circulation the fronts get
They are ajacent to a rear end that is running at 125-150 degrees.

The fronts have directional vanes, and are not solid, they get good air flow.

Naumoff
August 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM
I have measured 510*F at the 4 tubes at an Idle from a cold start to warm up. I have black sidepipes.
Wear long jeans when driving your Cobra.:D

140*F will scald you in 5 seconds. There is no escape at 500*F.