PDA

View Full Version : Gasman's Cobra

gasman
August 16th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Hey Guys, Haven't posted in awhile. Just a quick post to let you know what has been going on in my life. Several months ago, I got interested in doing some road racing. I went to Panoz racing school in Atlanta and got my SCCA provisional. With that in hand, I started working on a 1989 325i to prepare the car for NASA spec e30 racing. The car was finished just in time to compete in my first race last weekend at Road Atlanta. I won the poll in Saturday's race and finished 5th and qualified 11th in Sunday's race and finished 9th. Racing is so much fun and I really look forward to focusing on getting better at it. Which leads to my next big news....sadly it is time to let go of my Cobra. I just don't have time for everything. If anyone wants to buy a real beauty, please send me a PM.

Most of you guys know about the car. I'll try to throw a few pictures up tonight. I don't have photo software on my office PC. This is a 2001 427 car finished in 2003. I bought the car with 1,900 miles on it. Completely reworked the suspension with Bilstein gas shocks and Hypercoil springs. The steering rack was upgraded using Flaming Rivers components. Southern Automotive rebuilt the engine at 2,300 miles. The 427 has aluminum heads, roller rockers, aluminum water pump, Holley 750. The puller fan keeps the car running very cool, even in stopped traffic. The car has just under 4,000 miles on it and is as close to perfect as it can be. I'm asking $55,000. Please tell anyone interested in a Cobra to contact me. Thank you.

Naumoff
August 16th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Steve that is one nice ride.

You are letting it go pretty cheap.:confused:

gasman
August 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks Tony, I'll try it your way.

pgermond
August 16th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Gaaaaaaaaaaasman,

Congrats on your achievement, and good luck with your new passion- sounds like a blast :D ......... but to part with your Cobra? :( First Brent, and now you? Someone will be purchasing a beauty, for sure!!!!

Good to see you back, albeit for a short time.

excelguru
August 17th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Boy, somebody's gonna get a VERY nice car at a VERY good price. Anyone who's considering this car should jump on the opportunity 'cause you can't replicate what Gasman has done with this car for anywhere near that price. What a beauty (I mean the car, not Gasman).

Master
August 17th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Steve, when I saw your post I had a strange feeling that might be the subject. Hope you enjoy the spec racing. Check in from time to time:)

jhaynie
August 23rd, 2006, 05:29 AM
We're going to run out of Cobra's here in Augusta soon. Well, Unique's anyway. Maybe you can sell it local.

John

will butterworth
August 23rd, 2006, 05:39 AM
I had some extra loot, I,d bring that baby back to alabama.Will-alabama

sssnot
August 29th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Got any more photos? How about a full description of your car? How old is your block?

Very nice looking car!

gasman
August 29th, 2006, 11:44 AM
The block code is C3AE. It is a 427 top oiler stroked to 454 built by Southern Automotive 9/2/05. I sent you a PM, please send me your email address and I can attach a PDF of the build sheet. This forum will not upload a PDF.

Justin Upchurch
August 29th, 2006, 06:59 PM
sssnot,

Gasman's Cobra is very nice and priced to move. If you look at all of his posts over the last couple of years you will see that it has been well sorted and maintained.

Good Luck in your Cobra Quest,

Justin

gasman
October 13th, 2006, 11:47 AM
TTT, the car is still available.

Naumoff
October 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Steve,
Will you finance?
I would like to get it for my wife but I'm short on cash by about the whole amount.

gasman
October 17th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Sure, 10% compounded weekly. Miss a payment, you get a visit from Guido. :)

Naumoff
October 17th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Hey........ I have Italian cousins in Phili. So watch it Stevie boy.;)

gasman
January 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
TTT, Happy new year guys.

Naumoff
January 3rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Steve,
Send the car to me. If you hate it so much and want it out of your sight I will parade it around here and sell it for you.

gasman
January 3rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
Tony, I know you are kidding, but others probably don't. Love the car, just time to let it go. Hard to believe someone would opt to build one of these cars spending more, thinking it can be done better than they would to get this one for the price offered. Maybe the market is just way too soft right now. Perhaps I'll just drive the hell out of it and forget it....nevermind.

Naumoff
January 4th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I know you don't hate the Cobra. I think you are right about the market. You have on of the most desirable set up for a first time owner.
Blue w/ white stripes. Someone will buy it. I am looking to do another car project in a couple of years. If you still have it and another Cobra is what I decide to do I will call you first.

I am considering doing an Essex Wire clone. So I would have to repaint yours and remove the windshield and the interior.

gasman
August 29th, 2007, 10:43 AM
TTT. If anyone is curious, the car is still available.

gasman
December 28th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Someone requested pictures of my car, this thread has some of the best pictures of the car that I have taken. If more are needed, please let me know.

Aggressor
December 28th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Hey Tony,
If Gasman ever takes you up on the parade deal call me and I'll help relieve you of some parading duty burden.

-Geary

gasman
July 10th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Hey guys, I'm bringing this thread back to the top. I really need to sell my car and would entertain any offer. Please help me spread the word. Thanks.

Naumoff
August 22nd, 2008, 03:22 AM
This is a fantastic car. I drove it when I visited Steve. If anyone wants a car that is all sorted out, this is the car. Do not miss this opportunity.

gasman
September 15th, 2008, 12:45 PM
TTT. Here is the car for anyone interested. Any reasonable offer will be accepted.

gasman
January 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hey guys, Happy New Year! I really want to sell this car. Let me revise my last post to say, "Any unreasonable offer will not be refused". I'm very motivated to sell this car.

gasman
January 8th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I received a PM last night from a member not wanting to insult me. Seriously, nothing will insult me. Let my loss be your gain. The car has 3800 miles on it and 500 since the motor was rebuilt.

dmswann
January 8th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Just for my info, what was the cost of the Panoz Racing School and how long was it? I'm hoping to win the lottery any day now!

gasman
January 8th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Dennis, Skip Barber Racing School purchased Panoz sometime last year. The 3-day course is shown on their website at $3,399.00. It is much cheaper to enroll in HPDE's at NASA events and over time you probably get a better education.

aks801
January 8th, 2009, 08:19 AM
That is a gorgeous car, and someone will end up being very happy with a purchase! Tough business climate these days, but for those with a secure cash flow this is a fabulous example of the bargains to be had.

gasman
June 18th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Hey guys, I've found someone that would like to purchase the motor out of my car. If anyone is interested in my car less engine and transmission, please let me know. I could sell it for 25K as a roller.

gasman
October 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Hey Guys, Today was a happy/sad day for me; I had to turn around and walk away. Alan, I really appreciate all of your help in finding a buyer for the car. Thanks very much and I hope to see you in Tuscaloosa....Roll Tide!

pgermond
October 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Steve,

Three plus years on the block... wow!!!

speedracer67
December 20th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Where are the pictures and is it avaiable?
What is the price?
Thanks,
Rick

pgermond
December 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Where are the pictures and is it avaiable?
What is the price?
Thanks,
Rick

Read post #32..... it sold. A very nice car.

weaver
December 21st, 2009, 05:41 AM
Steve's car is now in France with a very happy new owner, it left the country in early Nov and the buyer drove it about 500 miles from port to his home. It was more than he was hoping it to be, he is very happy.

OROBBE
September 17th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hi, I'm Olivier the new French owner of the Steve's car.
As Alan said I'm still really happy to drive the car since I bought it in 2009, November. I drove it 6500 miles this year more than when Steve owned the car during 4 or 5 years...
In France it's not like in the US, this type of car is extremely rare. You can find sometimes English Cobra replica but not American Cobra replica.
My Unique is the second one on the ground of France and each time I drive the car people in the streets ask me questions about it and makes pictures. Last time I started the car during a car show and approximatly 80 people were looking to the car. I can confirm that the Weaver have done a great job and produce nice quality products.
Today, I have a problem with the engine that have been rebuilt by Southern Automotive: I have coolant water in 2x cylinders and compression in 2x others cylinders is low. I didn't know it when I bought the car but I think I should have tighten the bolts of the cylinder heads and the intake manifold, as the engine had been rebuilt since 1000miles when I bought the car. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT? I'm now ordering the different gaskets I need to change and hope that nothing else is wrong...
Thanks,
OlivieR

Naumoff
September 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Well Welcome Olivier.
I have driven Gasmans car with the other engine and can say it is well sorted.
Sorry for your new engine problems. If you can post some pictures of your car in France that would be great. Also some pictures of your engine problems.
I think it is terrible that you have had engine problems in such a short time.

OROBBE
September 19th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Hi Naumoff and thanks for your message.

Well concerning the engine I'm waiting the gaskets(cylinders headers, intake manifold, valve covers) that I have ordered to Southern Automotive.

Do you think the problem I have is due because bolts of headers and intake manifold haven't been tighten after engine rebuild ???

Here are some pictures of the car (when I get it and now):

I'm now looking someone who can paint in White color my side pipes whith ceramic treatment. And the car will be as I have always wished.

For the picture of the engine I hope in 2x weeks I could send them on the forum.

OlivieR

weaver
September 20th, 2010, 05:27 AM
The car looks great Olivier, how do you like driving on the Goodyear racing tires? The header bolts need to be checked from time to time but the intake bolts should stay tight.

OROBBE
September 20th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Hi Alan,

Well driving with the Billboards is a bit more difficult than radial tyres especialy on bad roads but they stick on the road and that's what I want.

And the look....

I'll buy the same tyres when I'll need to change them. But I've read that it's not easy to find them even in the US (In France it's impossible...)

Concerning the bolts once my engine will be repaired I'll check them each month. I don't want to change all the gaskets each year. If the problem is only the gaskets !! I'm going to check if piston rings or exhaust valves need to be replaced too..

OlivieR

Naumoff
September 21st, 2010, 06:39 PM
Olivier,
Looks even cooler then when I drove it. White cermaic coated sidepipes would really set her off.[thumb]
The tires are great when they heat up. I have a set. If you don't drive the car everyday they get flat spot in them that when you get them heated up they smooth out. I leave my Goodyears off until I am ready to drive so that they start out round.

A better tire that has a DOT rating are made by AVON. A bit more expensive but worth it. They don't have the cool GOODYEAR on the sides but you can just make a stencil and paint it on the AVONs.
Roger Krause Racing sells them and the GOODYEARS. Here is my car with the GOODYEARS.
Here is the link for the tires
http://rogerkrausracing.com/pages/pricing.html
Click on the Cobra tires PDF
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/Naumoff_photos/Alecsroomrepairs033.jpg

Naumoff
September 21st, 2010, 06:42 PM
I would not use the FelPro intake gaskets. I would get Victor Reinz gaskets for the intake and solid copper gaskets for your headers. Headbolts should not have to be re-torqued.

What engine are you running in the car?

OROBBE
September 22nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
Hi Naumoff,

Thanks for the information about the tyres. I'm going to find info about the AVON.

Your car is very nice. Black is color wich is perfect for the Cobra. I'm like you I like the look of the car with racing stickers. We haven't exactly the same tyres (I've got on mine EAGLE and GOOD YEAR - If I remember well your tyres are softer than mine and specialy for race track).

I've seen 2x air filters on your engine. I suppose you have a 427FE like me ? Mine is a 427 Top Oiler stroked to 454 with Edelbrock performer Rpm headers and intake manifold and single Holley 4150 (750cfm) carburator which is easier to tune than your both carburators. And Fuel in France is more expensive than in the US (1 gallon is 7,84$...)

Southern Automotive recommended me to buy FEL PRO gaskets for cylinders headers, valve covers and for exhaust headers. For the Intake manifold they recommended MR GASKET. If I had get your email before I would have ordered the gaskets you talked to me.
Hope Iwon't need to change them another time...

OlivieR

Naumoff
September 23rd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Same tires I just didn't paint in the eagle. 482 stroked 427 so 2x4s 600 holleys.

Cam2 still isn't as expensive as what you are paying.

These cars are a lot of fun.:3g: