PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 16 - Red, White, and Blue (and some Chrome)

nolastyankee
October 15th, 2006, 05:41 PM
The body preparations have begun and I feel compelled to share our progress like a proud father. Our first step was to undercoat, so I went to the local O'Reilly store and picked up 6 giant cans of the rubberized undercoat/sound deadener. I knew I was in trouble when it took nearly two cans to suffiiciently coat the front right fender well with a nice, thick, rock protecting layer. Well, about 14 cans later we're pretty well done and I had a paint buzz that lasted a week.

Next was the Thermotec insulation on the footboxes and, well, it was the same story. Five packages turned into twelve before we were done. Fortunately, the aluminum footboxes, inner fenders, and firewall didn't shrink in the last few months and bolted up just fine.

We rolled our baby out in the sun for the first photo shoot...It's coming together!

pgermond
October 15th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Brian,

It's really looking great... who would have ever imagine the infamous "Spence Car", would ever look this good? Love the aluminum :D

Aggressor
October 16th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I totally agree with Phils comments.

Looks terrific - Now you get to see the rewards for all your efforts - Geary

dmswann
October 16th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Where did you get the gas cap shield? Is it powder coated, painted, polished, etc? I would like to get one for my FIA.....if I can muster up the guts to drill holes in the body!

nolastyankee
October 16th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Dennis,
Believe it or not, the spash guard came off of ebay...There was a guy selling them there for a while a year or so ago. This one is severely cut and modified from when I bought it...So much so that it would have been easier to start from scratch and make it myself.

If you are serious about it I can try and make a template for you. It's pretty run of the mill 1/16" aluminum and is made up of two pieces welded together. We had ours painted with the car so it blends in nicely but still serves a function and looks good. Butch Capps has one on his car too that is polished.

juanone
October 16th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Dennis,

I have a gas cap shield that is brand new brushed aluminum, plus it has been anodized. If you are interested let me know, I bought it for my 289 but never used it.

Call or write me e-mail.

Juan

juanlb@createvisibility.com

Silk
October 16th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Very nice work, Brian. You're on the home stretch now!

Justin Upchurch
October 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Juan,

How much?

juanone
October 16th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Justin,

I'll talk with Rick tonight. He ordered it for my car when we were finishing the engine install. I'll let you know tomorrow for sure how much we have on it.

Juan

gasman
October 17th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Brian, the car is beautiful.

Naumoff
October 20th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Looking good Brian.

Justin Upchurch
January 14th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Brian,

What is the state of the car at this time? Any updates?

Justin

nolastyankee
January 15th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Yup, I owe you guys an update. We're coming along...After coming home from the paint shop the body had to go back for some touch up, but we're on the path pretty strongly right now. Body joins the frame in 2 weeks and then we're off to wiring. I'm finalizing a few things in the mean time, but that's the next step.

I'll post a few pics...

ralphscott
January 19th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Brian hope to see you at Homecoming. In the meantime I'll look forward to the Pics.

Ralph

Slither
January 19th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Great work Brian :D !!

nolastyankee
January 22nd, 2007, 05:45 AM
Just a teaser, the body goes on the frame this weekend. Definitely will be some pictures from that exercise! I can't wait...

ralphscott
January 22nd, 2007, 05:17 PM
I remember mine. Good friends, Great time, Super memories!!

Ralph

nolastyankee
January 28th, 2007, 07:08 PM
The body is on the frame and looks AWESOME! As soon as I can have Patrick increase my picture storage I'll post a few shots...Stay tuned!

rdorman
February 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM
You guys are really doing a great job! Can't wait to see it in person.