PDA

View Full Version : Precautionary Measures - Good Winter Project

pgermond
October 15th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I don't know if any of you have experienced what happened to me, but I would highly recommend you use safety wire on the bolts that hold the backplate in place that the front calipers bolt to - it mounts to the spindle assembly.

Recently on a drive in the foothills I heard a chirping sound in the front left wheel when applying the brakes. Upon further inspection I discovered that two of the three bolts that hold the backplate in place had back out and were rubbing on the backside of the rotor. Fortunately, I discovered this before any serious damage was done. The bolts have holes for safety wire, which is now in place. I also used safety wire on the two bolts that hold the caliper to the backplate.

In order to perform this task, it is necessary to remove the calipers and rotors - about an hour for the both sides. When removing the grease cap beware (Wilwood) - it is threaded (Thanks Tony!!!) and comes off counter clockwise very easily once you know it is threaded :o

ralphscott
October 16th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Phil, I've seen that happen once before on Ralph Long's car at Taledega Grand Prix circuit (5-6 years ago). I posted some pictures some time ago when I did my big front brakes job you can see what all I wired.

Ralph

Naumoff
October 16th, 2006, 07:26 PM
No problem Phil. I am glad you got it off OK. And back together.
Looks like a winter project for me.

pgermond
October 16th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Ralph,

I do remember your.... er, brake upgrade (it has been awhile back), but I must have missed the safety wire. IMHO it is a must - any bolt that has a hole in it gets wired from here on out!

Tony, If it weren't for your post regarding the threads I probably would have sawed it off by now (still haven't gotten a reply from Wilwood).

bstandley1
October 19th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Phil,

I had the same problem occur this past summer. I second your safety wiring advice!

Bob

peter
February 3rd, 2008, 04:12 AM
This is something on my list once the weather turns. Do I need to drill holes in the bolts for the safety wire or are the holes already there? thanks peter

will butterworth
February 4th, 2008, 05:36 AM
holes are already there, we start putting all brake components back together tonight--have roll of wire to do what ya,ll are talking about, have disassembled and inspected everything very carefully. Wilwood is a little slow to respond--disclaimers all over everything you buy from them and language to the effect you sre solely liable--responsible, for this stuff.Will-alabama

peter
February 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
thanks much-- have the safety wire-- should be good to go. just need some warmer weather