PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty connecting to previous posts through links.

YerDugliness
November 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM
:confused: I've been spending quite a bit of time reading current and previous posts on the forum, many times accessed by picking a member whose posts interest me and going through the "Members list" to find all posts by that member. One problem I've been having is that many times a post will have a link to a previous forum thread, for example, this one (not sure why I can't get it to be active for this post)

http: //www.uniquecobra.com/showthread.php?t=6786

and when I click on it I consistently just get a MS notice that the looks like this:
__________________________________________________ _______________
The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Open the www.uniquecobra.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Back button to try another link.
Click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer
__________________________________________________ _______________

This doesn't happen when I try to connect to a web link, like this one:

http://www.veesportracing.com/remote_brake_bias_adj_3.htm

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or, is it possible that some of these posts are old enough that new server/software incompatabilities might exist?

Thanks, guys. There is sooOOO much info on this forum that a guy could spend months and never get it all read, but that hasn't kept me from trying.

Doug

pgermond
November 28th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I don't know Doug. Sometimes photos are missing from old topics but I haven't had problems like this before. Maybe Patrick will chime in.....

pbrown
November 29th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I can answer that. The forum software was installed in a non-standard way when first deployed. I fixed that during the last upgrade and broke the links. There is a way to fix it but it will take a couple of days. I basically need to do a search and replace of all the posts and add insert /forums into the URL.

YerDugliness
November 29th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks, Patrick. No hurry for me--I've found plenty to keep me busy!

It's unbelievable that I was even close when I predicted software incompatability. You would not believe what a computer dummy I am--every hard drive and mother board I destroy just further convinces me I need to try to figure out what all those other buttons do :o .

Doug