PDA

View Full Version : Twin Paxton Cobras

Aggressor
December 7th, 2006, 11:45 AM
As many of you know, and as fate would have it, I am a big fan of the 2 original Twin Paxton Cobras. It has come to my attention that both have been restored and are to be auctioned in Scottsdale AZ. The 2 shows run the same week in January 2007. The 1st is CSX3015 - Carroll Shelby's Car. It will is consigned to the Barett-Jackson show as lot #1301.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/cardetails.asp?In_AuctionID=221&In_LotNumber=1301

The 2nd is CSX3033 - Bill Cosby's Car. It will is consigned to the Russo and Steele show as lot #6809.

http://www.russoandsteele.com/collector_car/1966_shelby_cobra_427_supersnake/6809.html

-Geary

clayfoushee
December 7th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Interesting commentary on the B-J site write-up, which I tend to agree with. Since 3033 (Cosby Cobra) was completely destroyed in a fatal accident and went over a cliff into the Pacific Ocean, about the only thing original on it is the CSX plate. It's a replica, by definition.

Aggressor
December 7th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I've been in contact with a British magazine editor recently who is doing a feature on the two twin paxton cars. He said that the Shelby car was in the UK during the fall for some work and was to return the the US soon. The Shelby car looks to be more historically "correct". If the Cosby car was originally a duplicate of the Shelby there are many differences that stand out with the reconstruction.

I aggree with your replica comments. There is a point in a restoration where so much of the original is replicated that it has lost its original pedigree. I have a friend who owns a street rod shop. I honestly believe that if you brought in a rusty fender he could metalwork the remainder of the car around that piece. The final product would a new creation with a vintage fender and not a restoration.

-Geary

Master
December 9th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Other than the obvious $ what do you think would have to be done to add the Paxtons to our cars. Would the bottom end need to be reworked? Low compression pistons around 8.5? What cam would you run? Since I built my car I have always dreamed of adding these.

Aggressor
December 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Scott, I worked with my machinist on some of these same questions. My FE is running about 9.25-9.5 to 1 compression. Like the originals, the blowers when installed will be pushing only around 6 pounds of boost down the carb throats. I bought cross-bolted mains at a swap meet but we decided not to use them because too much of the original block webbing would have to be cut out. My machinist felt the results would not justify their installation. The cam is a Comp Cam blower unit 288/288 advertised with 228/228 @50 and 110-degree lobe centers. TRW forged pistons, Eagle H beam rods, LeMans steel crank, and ARP's throughout. My mechanical fuel pump has been modified for increased fuel pressure as boost increases.
Cobra Automotive in Connecticut has a nice twin paxton package deal for the FE's.
www.cobraautomotive.com
Cost at last call was around $9000.00. These are custom made as orders are received. Jim Inglese called me few years ago to inform me that they were working on their first vintage twin paxton setup in their shop. I drove to Connecticut to see the installation. You may have seen this car for sale a while ago on the web. It was a white Kirkham with a dark blue softtop and interior. Their setup will fit under the stock hood so no massive hood scoop is required.
An image is attached for your review.
Craig Connelly at Paridise Wheel is another good source if you're looking to purchase individual components to add to your self-engineered bracketry.
www.paradisewheelsinc.com

-Geary

Aggressor
December 15th, 2006, 08:59 PM
It appears the Cosby car has been pulled from the auction site ?????????????

_Geary

Naumoff
December 16th, 2006, 05:31 AM
It appears the Cosby car has been pulled from the auction site ?????????????

_Geary

What Happened Geary?

Aggressor
December 17th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Tony,
I've clipped the response yhat I've received on the Shelby Forums website. It is as follows:

"Because the Rosso and Steele Auction people (RSA) finally realized from some of the SAAC UK based insiders that the UK located "3303 air car cobra" has a lot of problems with the "true" representation of the ownership chain of the vehicle, and RSA could in fact be creating a "huge" liability issue for themselves if they did sell the vehicle (3303 aircar cobra) at one of their many 2007 annual auctions."

I was also corrected on the CSX number.

- Geary

Aggressor
December 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM
A new wrinkle since I posted the above response. An inquiry was made to Russo-Steele and this is their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the consignment of Cobra CSX3303. Unfortunately, due to the shipment schedule of the vehicle from the current vendor overseas (England), CSX3303 will not arrive in time to clear customs and procure the necessary Domestic US title paperwork. As an obvious protection to the buyer and courtesy to our Registered Bidders, Russo and Steele strictly mandates that all vehicles on our Auction Block are presented with clean, clear, transferable titles at time of Auction Sale.

We will however, be looking forward to presenting CSX 3303 in Monterey California this coming August.

Russo and Steele's "Sports and Muscle in Monterey" will be August 17th - 18th in Monterey CA, presented in conjunction with the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance and the Vintage Races at Laguna Seca.

Thank you once again, we look forward to seeing you Scottsdale this January and once again for the offering of CSX 3303 in Monterey this coming August!

Should you forward this message, please do so in its entirety.

Thank you very much,

Drew Alcazar
President
Russo and Steele Automobile Auctions "
???
- Geary

Naumoff
December 19th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Thanks Geary,
I guess you have to wait til August.:D