PDA

View Full Version : New Cobra

out there
January 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
I have been lurking around searching the site about everything I could think of for a few months now. Wow what great information on here!
Anyhow, I recently bought Keith's (excel guru) 2002 427SC.

For years I have wanted to stop in and check out the plant. About six months ago while working near the plant I finally stopped by. Alan was in and could not have been any nicer and more giving of his time. He has been very helpful with my purchase. Thanks Alan!

Well I guess that was it for me, if I was going to buy a Cobra, it would be a Unique.

I live North of Atlanta and do plan to attend some of the local events and look forward to meeting some you.

My first 20 minute ride I ended up limping in with no clutch in first gear.
No big deal just the slave cylinder. Have to make a few improvements for the heat.

Greg

Naumoff
January 3rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
Welcome Greg.
That is a Beautiful Cobra you just purchased.
Sorry about your slave cylinder. I would have thought Keith would have had the car sorted by now.
Oh Well, Enjoy the ownership of a Cobra. Half the fun is wrenching on them. And if nothing is wrong with it you will probably want to change something.

TurnpikeBoy
January 3rd, 2007, 06:46 PM
Congratulations, Greg - that is one very beautiful car you've inherited.

As to the slave, well, the car has to test you out a bit and see what you are made of, too.

Enjoy the h*ll out of it.

pgermond
January 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM
Congratulations. That's one nice car and the Weaver's are great folks to deal with. As you said, this forum is loaded with valuable information specific to Uniques.

Enjoy and keep us updated on your progress and and adventures.

Aggressor
January 3rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Pennsylvania checking in:
Welcome to the family Greg.

-Aggressor (AKA Geary)

out there
January 4th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Thanks guys!
I'm excited to get to work on it this weekend. I have been looking at other Uniques to get ideas on the front of the car. An oil cooler for certain and possibly some aluminum? I have a spal front pusher only. Might change that set up. Any ideas? or better yet pictures.
I don't know yet what type of slave cylinder I have but are any of the boots heat resistant enough to withstand these temps?
Thanks again, Greg

pgermond
January 4th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Greg,

You want photos? Go here....... more than you could ever hope for. http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/

bstandley1
January 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Greg,

Good luck with your new ride!! BTW, I'm on my third slave cylinder in three years; I've tried wrapping it in insulation but it didn't seem to significantly extend the lifespan. I've resorted to keeping a back up inventory consisting of a complete slave cylinder (p/n SC33721) and two rebuilding kits (p/n CSK328). I found the best price on these at rockauto.com My last failure was last June at the Western States Cobra Bash in Reno .. I was able to get home by adding brake fluid and bleeding it.

Bob

out there
January 5th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the link to the photos Phil. That took me a while to go through all those.
Bob, Thanks for the source on the slave cylinders. I'm just curious, have you tried the synthetic fluids that will withstand higher temps? I was hoping that might help prolong my new cylinder's life.
Greg

Master
January 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Welcome, I hope you can make homecoming, I will be bringing my same date:eek: As for the synthetic fluid don't use it, use dot 4 and insulate lines and a shelf under the master cylinders works well also.

souzape
January 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Greg- I've got a slightly different perspective on synthetic brake fluid....been using the Valvoline DOT 3-4 sythetic for about two years with excellent results. My advice would be to stay away from silicon fluid. Insulating the lines and master cylinders is always a great idea.

Phil Souza

out there
January 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks Phil and Scott,
I plan on insulating both the lines and cylinder and using the Valvoline or Wilwood fluid and installing some sort of shield. It sounds like many of you have some decent reliabilty out of your setups and that is what I am hoping for.
My line lock brake doesn't appear to be doing much either. I read not to count on it in a parking situation.
What do you guys think about a slim puller fan just to help cool everything in the engine compartment? My car only has a Spal pusher now that seems to cool fine. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Greg

Naumoff
January 6th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Thanks Phil and Scott,
I plan on insulating both the lines and cylinder and using the Valvoline or Wilwood fluid and installing some sort of shield. It sounds like many of you have some decent reliabilty out of your setups and that is what I am hoping for.
My line lock brake doesn't appear to be doing much either. I read not to count on it in a parking situation.
What do you guys think about a slim puller fan just to help cool everything in the engine compartment? My car only has a Spal pusher now that seems to cool fine. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Greg

The pusher fan probably moves more air than the slim Puller fan will. The slim fan is limited to how many CFMs it can pull. Find the serial # so you can see what size fan it is. If it is a larger fan I would leave it as it is. If you have a cooling issue someone on the forum changed the power feed to their fans from the ignition to the battery disconnect to get full power to the fans and solved a cooling problem. I am going to do this to my car. I only have a problem in bad traffic. I am running the slim Spal puller and the Unique pushers.

I run Wilwood 570 dot 3 fluid in my car. Heat shields under master cylinders. no problems. I have a Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing instead of a clutch slave cylinder.

Clay has the same clutch set up as you and we only replaced his slave cylinder after 6000miles because we saw a little drip from the seal developing.

have fun

out there
January 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Tony,
I'll setttle for 6,000 miles per slave cylinder! Most likely I will use the Wilwood 570 fluid, insulate and use a shield.
I suppose for now I may leave the cooling system alone since it is not a problem. I would like to add an oil cooler for looks. Hope I don't create a problem.
I also changed the seats to Sube Roadster SS due to my height. Very comfortable. I sit lower in the seats and you are supported by flexible suspended Pirelli system. The backs are also higher and the fit is like it was designed for the Unique.
Greg

Naumoff
January 7th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Would love to see a picture of the seats in the car. I just purchased a Comp. Seat from Sterling replicas but I haven't put ot in the car yet.
It supports me side to side better and lowers me in the car. I sat in one at the shop. I need it for AutoX as I am trying to hold myself in the seat at the same time I am trying to run over cones. :D

Oil cooler is no problem. You should put a thermostat bypass valve in line to let the engine oil get up to temp in normal driving.
I need to put one on my car. The cooler works to good and the oil temperature is to low while just cruisin' around.

out there
January 7th, 2007, 06:13 AM
I'll take some pictures today in the garage and post them. The Roadster SS seat would hold you better laterally than the standard seat but probably not like what you bought.
I'll look into that bypass valve to control the oil temp. Cool oil temps are exactly what I was concerned about.

out there
January 7th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Tony,
The photos are not that great with the flash and flourecent lights.

out there
January 7th, 2007, 06:04 PM
A couple more

Naumoff
January 8th, 2007, 03:23 AM
The seats look great.
I like the higher backs.
Your right about my vintage style comp seat holding you in. It wraps around my thighs and sides.

will butterworth
January 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Live just in alabama at abernathy exit I-20, you went by my house, congrats., some pretty ride. Yep, we are always doing something to these rides, radiator out of Zachs , silver one, just installed hot 351 into my red car, breaking it in slowly and as I can. Weavers always helping me with parts, or something.Even came to the childrens wedding.Have wilwood pull type slave cylinder on clutch, no problem, had heating-no clutch problem on silver car last yr. in heat-parade4th july, it has push type hyd. cyl.. So, we are always doing-helping each other and we like to spin a yarn-joke from time to time. Welcome, homecoming--mark---we,ll see you. Will-alabama home of the expensive coach.

out there
January 8th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks Will. I know what exit you are talking about of I-20. I pass it all the time when traveling into Alabama. I actually brought the car home from the South Carolina side of I-20. I read about and looked at your Wilwood pull slave install. Very nice.
Greg