PDA

View Full Version : Five Million Dollars !!!!!

Aggressor
January 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM
SuperSnake is the highest priced vehicle ever to cross the block at Barrett-Jackson. Too Cool.
Five Million Dollars !!!!!
-Aggressor

pgermond
January 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I watched it go on the block on TV also..... jumping $500k each bid. I don't know what to say other than incredible, amazing, unbelievable!!! Or.... some folks just have too much damn money :eek: That wasn't Steve F in disguise, was it???? :)

excelguru
January 20th, 2007, 08:39 PM
That was insane. Just insane. I was guessing $1M or maybe $1.5M tops. There's no doubt that it's an amazing car and certainly the only one (of two) left in the world. But five million dollars??? Hmm... time will tell on that one. Two people certainly wanted it pretty bad. The losing bidder wound up buying the white one later.

In my humble opinion, the stupidest purchase I saw today was the serial #1 Shelby Mustang Cobra (the new one). Something like $600k, I believe. It also included the option to buy serial #2 at sticker price and I think it had a Fender gutar in the trunk. It was hovering around (I think) $350k and the bidder jumped it immediately to $500k. Then he raised his OWN BID to $600k. I'm sorry, but that's just stupid.

The commentators once referred to a 1967 427 Corvette as having been a "good investment" since it was purchased in 1967 for $6000 and sold today for $140,000. But if you do the math, it's the same return as the stock market (7.9%). Reaping a similar ROI on the Mustang purchase woud require selling it in 2047 for $14 Million. Hmm...

Nonetheless, I'm always glued to the BJ auction each year. Most entertaining thing on TV, by far. But if I have to see that Baja 1000 race commercial one more time...

TurnpikeBoy
January 21st, 2007, 07:21 AM
.......Then he raised his OWN BID to $600k. I'm sorry, but that's just stupid......

Amen. And the only one who should be sorry is the moron who bought it. Truly a wondrous display of stupidity, on national television, no less.

weaver
January 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM
I just got back from the auction, I thought the Cobra would go around 3 million but not surprised at 5, it gathered attention all week. The Unique that brought $55000 was one of the worst Uniques I have seen, it wasn't a factory built car as discribed but a basic kit that someone pieced together from different suppliers parts, I was embarrased to have our name metioned along side it. The weather wasn't good all week, either too cold, windy or wet but the crowd was huge. I went with Unique customer Tom Melia from Ct and we really had a good time, we didn't buy anything but I did sell him a 36 Cabriolet that we will start on soon. My buddy Alan Johnson was disapointed with the $525,000.00 his custom Hemi Cuda brought, he had a offer of $1,250,000.00 before he left for Phoenix and 2 other offers in the same range, Barrett assured him it would bring 1 to 2 million. The auction will probably move to Vegas next year because they have out grown West World and Scottsdale won't build another facility.

Alan

TurnpikeBoy
January 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM
...... My buddy Alan Johnson was disapointed with the $525,000.00 his custom Hemi Cuda brought, he had a offer of $1,250,000.00 before he left for Phoenix.......
Alan

???? - he didn't think that was a good deal?

brfutbrian
January 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM
???? - he didn't think that was a good deal?
im sure it was already committed to the auction, but ill bet b/j would have let him out if he paid the buyer`s and seller`s premiums on 2m

brfutbrian
January 21st, 2007, 05:21 PM
The Unique that brought $55000 was one of the worst Uniques I have seen, it wasn't a factory built car as discribed but a basic kit that someone pieced together from different suppliers parts, I was embarrased to have our name metioned along side it.

Alan

i was wondering why it ended a bit short of where i thought it would, even with the small block in a big block body. and with alan`s 'seal of dissaproval" it goes to show how much of an uneducated feeding frenzy that bj is. id love to see a nice example of a FE powered unique go over the b/j block.
5m to me seemed about right considering the supersnakes and the daytonas are the holy grails in the cobra world. anybody wanna guess what the next daytona to auction will fetch ?? what amazes me is what gt 500s are getting considering shelby was pretty much out of the picture other than his name by then. how long will it be before the dodge omni s or whatever it was that shelby endorsed and carried his name back in the 80`s become valueable and are recognized in shelby registry and become part of the shelby frenzy and cross the block gathering 6 figure price along the way. i cant tell when, but youll know who i am, ill be the one in the corner laughing uncontrollably.... later, brian

out there
January 21st, 2007, 06:40 PM
Great to see the exposure for all cobras! I was watching for most of the coverage and I normally don't watch much TV.
Greg

nolastyankee
January 22nd, 2007, 05:43 AM
$600k was alot for Shelby GT VIN #1, but need to remember that it was a charity auction, all proceeds went to Carroll's childrens charity. The bidder is the same one who bought VIN #1 of the GT500 last year (and the Supersnake, and the GM Futureliner, and the Last Stingray, and....) and he raised to $600k simply to match his last years contribution to Shelby.

Money is not an issue for Ron Pratt.

davebetts
January 22nd, 2007, 12:32 PM
There sure is a boat load of $ out there. I only hope the proceeds for that car went to Carroll's charity for children. I enjoyed the auction, but people are crazy with their $ - guess I'm jealous.

TurnpikeBoy
January 22nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
$600k was alot for Shelby GT VIN #1, but need to remember that it was a charity auction, all proceeds went to Carroll's childrens charity........ and he raised to $600k simply to match his last years contribution to Shelby.

Money is not an issue for Ron Pratt.

Indeed. Why, then, doesn't he simply make a $600K or $1MM donation? Does he need the presence of TV cameras to be benevolent? Glad he does it, to be certain, but his effect (and of those like him) on the market certainly isn't inconsequential.

eliminator
January 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Think in light of the BJ auction I will make sure my car goes on the block when I croak.

Hope it will pump up my estate......

I too would like to see a nice (nice in my standards) Unique go on the blocks at BJ, bet it would go top dollar.

ralphscott
January 23rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Ditto That Rick!! I guessed earlier that it would go for $46,500. Wow!

Ralph

Russ Dickey
January 24th, 2007, 08:48 AM
With the exception of the SuperSnake and a few other featured cars, the high bids garnered were lower than in years past, especially on the muscle cars, hot rods and street rods. There were a ton of cars that brought maybe only 50% of what the owner's had in them.

I was blown away that the G-Force Cuda only brought what it did, not to mention the "Last Stingray". I thought both would bring a ton more money. But overall, I thought that there were actually some deals that could be had if you were there early in the week and have a decent bank account. Maybe all the rich guys said "enough is enough", or the fact that there were some questionable bidding practices going on at BJ which kept some people from bidding??

The Russo and Steele auction was pretty much the same thing in terms of what they were getting for cars, but the RM auction values were up (that's where all the "old" money is).

I totally missed the Unique replica at BJ. I didn't see one replica there worth even stopping to take the time to look at, so this thing must have been pretty bad if it didn't get a second glance from me. Although I will say that there was a nice black Hi-Tech 427 there that wasn't bad, and I think he got pretty good money for it, too.

And I don't know if you guys saw my post over at Club Cobra, but there was a Factory Five that brought in $73,000 (after buyer's premium)! It was nice for a FFR, but would have been a $27K car anywhere else. With all the hoopla surrounding the SuperSnake, this was the year to be auctioning off a Cobra replica.

weaver
January 25th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Russ I agree with you on the Cuda, if you really look at that car and consider the amount of time and money invested, it sold cheap. What surprised me was the 429 Boss Mustang that sold for $445,000.00, I sold that same car for a customer 6 years ago for $52,000.00 and at that time got all it was worth.

Alan

nolastyankee
January 26th, 2007, 06:59 AM
That custom 'Cuda was absolutely beautiful...I thought it was a shame to sell for so low. I heard the announcers mention Gadsden and I wondered if you knew the builders. They said there was something like 16,000 hours in the car???