PDA

View Full Version : FIA 16" Spal Fan Installation

spd4me
February 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
For those who are interested here's what I did. Parts: Spal 16" Slim Fan Puller #30100400 (jaycorptech.com). Fan Mounting Bracket 2 Pc FMB2 (alumrad.com). Fan Mounting Bracket Style 1 #30130010 (jaycorptech.com).
In photo of brackets, top is what comes standard and bottom is Style 1. I turned fan with flat sides on top and bottom. Used the standard brackets on top and put them in fan slots upside down (see photo). Used Style 1 on bottom to get as much room between fan and sway bar. I could have bent the top bracket to fit on front side of hood bracket beam but it was easier to slide it between the hood bracket and the fiberglass beam ( other way would require cutting out a piece to fit around the bracket welded to top of radiator). The bottom bracket slides between the bottom of radiator and top of bolts. The 2 clamps hold it tight. Once I had my dimensions, I took to steel fabricator and had them bent. I had to shorten the bottom two carriage bolts in order for the fan to slide over them. The top bracket is drilled and the top radiator support bolt goes through. My fuse box had a spare 20 amp fuse (position #2 in diagram) with a wire that ran in same harness as wire that went to pusher fan switch. I just purchased a switch from Weavers and installed a #12 wire in the harness that goes to front fans. The fan will operate without the ignition switch on. If you want the fans to operate only if ignition switch is on then you can get the Relay #FRH Kit. They come with thermostat control or not.
Bob

twanita
February 8th, 2007, 07:32 PM
looks like a nice set-up. i plan on doing it this winter. how much was that bracket from alumrad? they don't show prices. was the fan cheaper at jaytech? jim o.

pgermond
February 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Bob,
Looks like a nice/clean installation.

spd4me
February 9th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I don't have the receipts in front of me but the best I can rember is the Fan was around $68. and the alum bracket the same. The relay kit is $35.
Bob