PDA

View Full Version : Plug wire dividers???

JeepSnake
February 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Hey gang,

I'm in the process of doing some engine compartment remodeling, and have a question about plug wire dividers. Currently, I am running Ford Motorsport 9 mm wires in street rod-type loom that route them around the front and along the lower edge of the valve covers on the 351.

I am about to install the open-letter Cobra covers from Dad's old 302 and am looking at getting black wires to route as per factory across the valve covers, using the tabs on the covers. But, the only plastic looms I can find that are made for the valve cover tabs are for the old 7 mm wires. I know that I have seen several cars running FE's with 8 mm wires routed through looms mounted on the valve cover tabs. Does anyone have a source for the 8mm looms that attach to the factory tabs for a Windsor?

Got a more factory-appearing small diameter black cap on order for the MSD, so that maybe when I open the hood, people will see "engine" instead of "distributor!" :)

ralphscott
February 19th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Zack, what I did is to take a little rat-tail file and open them up a bit. Be careful when you put your wires in the plastic loom so that you don't cut the wire sheathing on the plastic loom.

Ralph

eliminator
February 20th, 2007, 05:12 AM
No 8 or 9MM available, like Ralph said a little "file work" gets it done.

nolastyankee
February 21st, 2007, 09:53 AM
Zach,
I took the plastic looms, bolted them closed without the wires in them and drilled them out. Worked perfectly and looks like they were made that way. In fact I drill all mine now to remove manufacturing flash even if they are sized correctly.

JeepSnake
February 21st, 2007, 12:35 PM
I drilled my current ones out to fit the 9mm, but just wasn't sure if there was enough material on the factory-type to drill or file them out for 8mm.

I got the valve covers installed last night (found out the messy way that not all small block valve covers have the gasket alignment tabs in the same place on the lower edge!), and got the MSD coil out and an initial coat of black paint on it.

For now, anyway, it looks like I may be leaving the street-rod type wire looms on because they cover the header flanges & primary tubes. While changing the valve covers, I discovered that the headers are sort of worn in their appearance. The ceramic coating is intact, but has that powdery, satin look from where they probably overheated during motor break-in or something. There's some discoloration coming from where the gaskets weren't trimmed, and a little rust stain has bled over onto the flanges.

Anyhow, I plan to finish up painting the coil this weekend, as well as pulling the alternator and getting it painted in a more fitting cast-aluminum finish (rather than gloss black).