PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Bushings Upgrade

eliminator
April 26th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Just got around to changing out the MGB stock sway bar bushings, (left side of photo) with Energy Suspension Performance Polyurethane Bushings, (right side of photo).

These will increase the performance for street and track, the old bushings are a soft rubber compound and they give a lot, and the metal bracket is a little weak. These are more durable have a larger area to support the sway bar and stiffen up the suspension when in turns, helping to eliminate body roll.

I purchase these from Summit, I am sure Jeg's has them too, the manufacture part # is 9.5123G for a 3/4"/19MM sway bar. They have a little adjustment in the the hole pattern, and fit the stock hole pattern with no problems, (approx 2 - 5/8" center to center). A special lubricant comes with the bushings,

pgermond
April 26th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Interesting....... I don't know what to say..... could be a smart a$$..... but I won't..... let us know if you notice a difference.....

eliminator
April 27th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Go ahead and be a smart ***, I think I can handle it!!

JeepSnake
April 27th, 2007, 06:57 AM
I am a big believer in polyurethane bushings for suspension use. Among other things:

- they do not deflect under load as much as rubber, yielding better handling characteristics

- they do not deteriorate like rubber; grease & oil won't attack them like they do rubber

- they look good!

I used polygraphite bushings throughout the Chevelle and have been very pleased. The mounting bolts for nearly every make & model's swaybar bushings are a weak point. Under extremely hard cornering, GM A-bodies have been known to pull the attachment points out of the frame.

Aggressor
April 27th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I agree Zach. My wifes 68 Mustang has been refitted with 100% polyurethane bushings. Even the spring perch saddle bushings and steering "rag" joint coupler have been replaced. I replaced the f/r sway bar bushings in my 427SC in 2002.

-Geary

ralphscott
April 28th, 2007, 06:47 AM
When I redid my sway bar Helwig sent me poly bushings what a difference!!

Ralph

eliminator
December 16th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Here we go, out of the search library.